New NM Cable ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
I have not bought any NM cable for a while but I was told that the NM cable now has an insulated green ground conductor. Is that true and if it is true, who makes it? I personally think that it would be nice to have an insulated ground conductor. Once I get home, I will go on line to see what I can find out.

Thanks, Bill

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Have not heard of a requirement for that. But my house that was rewired in the (I think) early 80's has some NM cable with a green insulated grounding conductor. This also has a smaller sized EGC (looks like #16 when the other two conductors are #14).

So it has been available in the past.

jumper

Have not heard of a requirement for that. But my house that was rewired in the (I think) early 80's has some NM cable with a green insulated grounding conductor. This also has a smaller sized EGC (looks like #16 when the other two conductors are #14).

That would be some really weird cable, also a full sized EGC for small branch circuits has been required since 1971 IIRC.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't know when the remodel happened, but there was the old silver cloth cable, newer black plastic NM with the green insulated ground (both those two had smaller EGC's), then normal white NM and finally the NM-B I added with white, yellow, or orange jackets. House was built in the 60's, so I'm sure cables were installed at various times.

jumper

I don't know when the remodel happened, but there was the old silver cloth cable, newer black plastic NM with the green insulated ground (both those two had smaller EGC's), then normal white NM and finally the NM-B I added with white, yellow, or orange jackets. House was built in the 60's, so I'm sure cables were installed at various times.

It is always interesting to me to run across the various types of of old wiring.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That would be some really weird cable, also a full sized EGC for small branch circuits has been required since 1971 IIRC.

The ones I have seen with an insulated equipment grounding conductor did not have a full sized equipment grounding conductor.

masterinbama

Ran across an addition that was wired with what looked like #12 stranded NM cable that contained a green insulated ground. Turned out to be a cable that was manufactured for RV's.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Thanks for all of the information. I went on line, and I too could not find any new NM with an insulated ground.

Thanks Again, Bill

kwired

Electron manager

I'm pretty sure the reduced size EGC was not allowed by 1980's, all I have ever seen with reduced size EGC (10AWG and smaller anyway) I would guess was 1950's maybe into 1960's installations.

That date corresponds to what installations I can recall seeing using smaller EGC.

The ones I have seen with an insulated equipment grounding conductor did not have a full sized equipment grounding conductor.
Same here, and was pre 1970's installations as well.

renosteinke

Looks like the elusive "NM-C" has been found - under the guise of 'marine wire!'

While the link is silent as to any listings .... well, it does make you wonder.

Not a "Chapter 3 method?" Well, if not- it should be!

renosteinke

Thank you, Gold digger!

A little more digging came up with this manufacturer link: http://www.northwire.com/industries/647/products/ul-1426-electrical-cables-for-boats .

From this manufacturer, it appears that their specific cable MIGHT also be listed for use as building wire. personally, I see no reason to reject this wire, and it's a clear case of when the AHJ should exercise his authority to depart from the strict text of the NEC.

(Of course, I personally also favor anything that will give a future HI an attack of the vapors :D )

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Looks like the elusive "NM-C" has been found - under the guise of 'marine wire!'

While the link is silent as to any listings .... well, it does make you wonder.

Not a "Chapter 3 method?" Well, if not- it should be!

Thank you, Gold digger!

A little more digging came up with this manufacturer link: http://www.northwire.com/industries/647/products/ul-1426-electrical-cables-for-boats .

From this manufacturer, it appears that their specific cable MIGHT also be listed for use as building wire. personally, I see no reason to reject this wire, and it's a clear case of when the AHJ should exercise his authority to depart from the strict text of the NEC.

(Of course, I personally also favor anything that will give a future HI an attack of the vapors :D )

The specs say it's fine stranded. That's great for pulling but a real PITA to terminate or splice. That's possibly the reason it would not be considered for Chapter 3 as premises wiring.

kwired

Electron manager
The specs say it's fine stranded. That's great for pulling but a real PITA to terminate or splice. That's possibly the reason it would not be considered for Chapter 3 as premises wiring.
I use stranded conductor all the time for premises wiring, just not with type NM cable, but if NM cable were readily available with stranded conductors in 14-10 AWG I may consider using it. 14 AWG I may prefer solid, but 12 AWG is worth consideration, and I think I would prefer 10 AWG to be stranded in most all cases, just is easier to work with in general. I never buy 10 solid THHN/THWN, it is always stranded, 14 and 12 I mostly use stranded, but do have occasions where solid is preferred, but those seem to be getting to be less preferred locations as time goes by.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I use stranded conductor all the time for premises wiring, just not with type NM cable, but if NM cable were readily available with stranded conductors in 14-10 AWG I may consider using it. 14 AWG I may prefer solid, but 12 AWG is worth consideration, and I think I would prefer 10 AWG to be stranded in most all cases, just is easier to work with in general. I never buy 10 solid THHN/THWN, it is always stranded, 14 and 12 I mostly use stranded, but do have occasions where solid is preferred, but those seem to be getting to be less preferred locations as time goes by.

But this stuff is fine stranded, not just stranded. I have worked with fine stranded wire and I could see where terminals and connectors would not be listed for use with it. Using wire nuts on fine stranded wire usually results in one or more of the strands actually being cut by the metal threads in the nuts.

There is also a chance that breaker terminals won't tighten down all the way on fine stranded wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.