Is this just a pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
We are redesigning a production area to be more flexible. Each of the cells could potentially use any one of several different heating systems to operate during a given week. As such, we are considering the possibility of making the heating controllers portable, designing them to be rolled into place as the cell is configured for a specific job, and powering them from flexible cords.

Typical power through a controller is 45A 240 single phase, the Tx will be fused at 60 and is rated for this. We could go to 30 amps of 480 and put the step down in the controller cabinet if this makes a difference.

My first gut take on this is, I don't like this much power in a flexible cord. However, as I go through my NEC, it looks like this would basically be subject to:

400 (Flexible cords and Cables) =>(Permitted under 400.7 A 6 on #4 2C AWG with overcurrent protection )

314.23 H (Outlet devices/Pendant Boxes) => (Strain relief connectors)

250.138 (Grounding /Cord and Plug Connected Equipment) => (Grounding type attachment plug with a fixed grounding contact(??), or a separate grounding strap)

First, from this, I end up thinking that this is just a NEMA 14-60 pendant. Am I nuts?

Second, this still gives me indigestion, but I have not done much that was not hard wired. Am I over angsting this?

Thanks,

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.