Splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One is not always required. It depends on your wiring method, but 300.15 covers the most common.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm still trying to figure out how this guy
image.php
understood the question? :roll:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I didn't see it in there. Someone told me that you cant pull a conductor straight through a box if there are going to be splices on one or more of the other wires.
Ask that someone to show it to you in the Code book, or provide the reference(s). I am certain he can not...

...and be correct. ;)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I didn't see it in there. Someone told me that you cant pull a conductor straight through a box if there are going to be splices on one or more of the other wires.

This is what some of us call urban legend code. Every area of the country has their version of this code. In some areas certain urban legend code rules are so ingrained nobody dares to confirm some of them in the real code book. Over the years I've heard some real doozies. I've seen this make it hard on guys trying to pass an exam that is based on the real code.

fmtjfw

At one time I thought there was something about all conductors of a circuit being the same length. But I do not see it in the code.

There is a rule that you can count an unbroken conductor (<4AWG) once if it loops through the box and if it is short enough.

310.16(B)(1) Conductor Fill. Each conductor that originates outside
the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be
counted once, and each conductor that passes through the
box without splice or termination shall be counted once.
Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice
the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14
shall be counted twice.
The conductor fill shall be calculated
using Table 314.16(B). A conductor, no part of which
leaves the box, shall not be counted.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Ask that someone to show it to you in the Code book, or provide the reference(s). I am certain he can not...

...and be correct. ;)

I proved to an electrician that you can use a panel as a pull box as long as you didn't exceed to fill and was told
that's not how we do it in South Jersey!
And I said have at it. No skin off my nose, just trying to make it easier for you.....

kwired

Electron manager
I proved to an electrician that you can use a panel as a pull box as long as you didn't exceed to fill and was told
that's not how we do it in South Jersey!
And I said have at it. No skin off my nose, just trying to make it easier for you.....
Actually - you will have a hard time installing any conductors 'in' a panelboard, but you can install them in the same cabinet the panelboard is installed in;)

Status
Not open for further replies.