Interpretation of NEC Article 210.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I've read the 2011 NEC article and now I have confused myself. 210.12(A), Dwelling Units, says that arc fault protection has to be provided to certain circuits. Exception No. 1 says that an AFCI receptacle can be used if metal covered cable or conduit is installed between the standard breaker and the AFCI receptacle.

Paragraph (B), Extensions or Modifications - Dwelling units, says an AFCI receptacle can be installed as the first receptacle of a extended, replaced or modified circuit. However, there is no mention of the use of metal covered cable or conduit. Are the requirements of paragraph (A) Exception No. 1 required for paragraph (B) (2)?

Similarly, Article 406.4 (D)(4)(1) says an AFCI receptacle can be used a a replacement receptacle with no mention of metal covered cable or conduit as described in 210.12 (A) Exception No. 1. Are the requirements of paragraph (A) Exception No. 1 required for paragraph 406.4 (D)(4)(1)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As I read it, the metal is not a requirement in the "extension" or "replacement" situations.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code wants us to use AFCI protection for extensions and modifications, but the CMP understands that will never happen if you have to replace the home run. They give us some leeway for modifications and extensions that you don't get for new branch circuits.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I've read the 2011 NEC article and now I have confused myself. 210.12(A), Dwelling Units, says that arc fault protection has to be provided to certain circuits. Exception No. 1 says that an AFCI receptacle can be used if metal covered cable or conduit is installed between the standard breaker and the AFCI receptacle.

Paragraph (B), Extensions or Modifications - Dwelling units, says an AFCI receptacle can be installed as the first receptacle of a extended, replaced or modified circuit. However, there is no mention of the use of metal covered cable or conduit. Are the requirements of paragraph (A) Exception No. 1 required for paragraph (B) (2)?

Similarly, Article 406.4 (D)(4)(1) says an AFCI receptacle can (shall) be used a a replacement receptacle with no mention of metal covered cable or conduit as described in 210.12 (A) Exception No. 1. Are the requirements of paragraph (A) Exception No. 1 required for paragraph 406.4 (D)(4)(1)?

Required.

Status
Not open for further replies.