Smoke detectors in residential garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohms law

I had a customer ask if I could install a smoke detector in a garage and I replied with, I'm not sure if you will have nuisance alarms with dust. I told her that i could, there is nothing that says I can't install one. I recommended to buy a battery operated one since she doesn't want to tie into the house smoke detectors anyway. If one was to install a smoke would you recommend a ionization, photo electric type.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a customer ask if I could install a smoke detector in a garage and I replied with, I'm not sure if you will have nuisance alarms with dust. I told her that i could, there is nothing that says I can't install one. I recommended to buy a battery operated one since she doesn't want to tie into the house smoke detectors anyway. If one was to install a smoke would you recommend a ionization, photo electric type.
You wouldn't have to tie the interconnect wire for a hard wired unit to get the same result of not triggering the whole house.

I would recommend a heat detector and not a smoke detector.

If you ever have a diesel burning vehicle parked on a regular basis in that garage - you will have a lot of nuisance alarms:happyyes:

Based on your location I wouldn't rule that possibility out either, there are lots of diesel pickups in the region, not everyone understands midwesterners:)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Listing

Listing

Check the manufacturer's installation instructions. It may not be suitable for the garage based on the temperature it will see in that location. Also, what others have said regarding exhaust tripping the alarm, especially if you install a CO/smoke combo device.

gadfly56

Occupation
I should i have mentioned it is a heated garage as well. Don't you have to worry about humidity as well?

Define "heated". Kidde's data sheet for the i12080 has a temp range of 40F - 100F, 5-95% RH non-condensing. the temperature range seems the same for their entire alarm device offering, and some of the RH levels are as low as 85%.

mgookin

It is natural gas heater. So what would you guys recommend?

I still think a rate of rise heat detector is the way to go.

And I hope that natty gas heater is independent to that room only. It's a code violation and risk to life to mix air from a garage with the air in a sleeping room.

Ohms law

I still think a rate of rise heat detector is the way to go.

And I hope that natty gas heater is independent to that room only. It's a code violation and risk to life to mix air from a garage with the air in a sleeping room.

It is independent from the house, plus it is vented outside which is code since it is not a ventless. The lady freaks out about everything. When the plumbers where there to install the gas line she was so scared always asking if a fire will start and kept asking do you smell gas, I think I smell gas! A little paranoid I think but I understand.

nhfire77

And a rate of rise heat detector at that because a garage can get pretty hot in the summer.

Rate of rise? A hot exhaust running for just a few seconds could easily trip one, so could the gas heater. I would go fixed.

Gadfly- Kidde has a newer heat model that has a wider temp range.

HD135F

-20F to +100F (-29C and +38C)
5%-95% relative humid

Although Im sure you could argue some garages get over 100F and Kidde had a 200F heat at one point, but needed a kidde relay and I can't find the spec on it

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Rate of rise? A hot exhaust running for just a few seconds could easily trip one, so could the gas heater. I would go fixed.

HD135F

5%-95% relative humid

Although Im sure you could argue some garages get over 100F and Kidde had a 200F heat at one point, but needed a kidde relay and I can't find the spec on it
I don't think there is much to argue, I think many can easily get over 100F especially at/near ceiling level, though it seems impossible right now:blink:

gadfly56

Occupation

HD135F

5%-95% relative humid

I was trying to stay more or less focused on the OP's question, which was about smoke detectors, although I believe he really meant smoke alarms, unless he was truly talking about a low voltage system. I didn't even look at the heat detectors.

Your point of fixed vs ROR is well made. You might apply the same logic to fire detection in a kitchen.

For the 200F heat, are you talking about the "finger" heats? Kidde-Fenwal still makes them, for up to 600F service IIRC.

Ohms law

I was trying to stay more or less focused on the OP's question, which was about smoke detectors, although I believe he really meant smoke alarms, unless he was truly talking about a low voltage system. I didn't even look at the heat detectors.

Your point of fixed vs ROR is well made. You might apply the same logic to fire detection in a kitchen.

For the 200F heat, are you talking about the "finger" heats? Kidde-Fenwal still makes them, for up to 600F service IIRC.

Your correct, I was talking about smoke alarms. I will look into the kidde-finwal, thank you.

nhfire77

I get it, I should have said: "despite the customers insistence on a smoke, they would do better with a heat. False alarms would the crazy client.... Crazy and by proxy you. Convincing her of that is key to avoid unbillable return trips to deal with her.

Finger heat? Are you referring to a rate compensation heat, typically seen above gas pumps?

The one I saw was just an Edwards spot heat with Kidde's part number/logo. Supposedly, you can tie it in with a relay, but I didnt check in to details.

mgookin

I get it, I should have said: "despite the customers insistence on a smoke, they would do better with a heat. False alarms would the crazy client.... Crazy and by proxy you. Convincing her of that is key to avoid unbillable return trips to deal with her.

Finger heat? Are you referring to a rate compensation heat, typically seen above gas pumps?

The one I saw was just an Edwards spot heat with Kidde's part number/logo. Supposedly, you can tie it in with a relay, but I didnt check in to details.

I don't think that lady knows the difference between smoke detector and heat detector. She wants something that will let her know if there's a fire in that room, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.