Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
are you asking why those numbers .. ie: why 120 instead of 125, etc

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
why do we commonly use 120 or 240 and 480 volts

I assume you are asking for information in order to answer a question in thee Electrical Products Education Course (EPEC) offered by NAED.

What have you come up with as a possible reason?
We will be glad to act as a resource and mentor for you, but we do not like doing your homework.

sorry

sorry

I did not intend to imply that. I have found that the cost and the already set up infrastructure seem to be the main factors. The question does ask that I explain thoroughly. And this answer seems to be not so. All I really am looking for is a bit of direction. I appreciate any help and or ideas.

Thank you, Mike

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I did not intend to imply that. I have found that the cost and the already set up infrastructure seem to be the main factors. The question does ask that I explain thoroughly. And this answer seems to be not so. All I really am looking for is a bit of direction. I appreciate any help and or ideas.

Thank you, Mike

History maybe part of it. What was our first practical commercial use of electricity?
Math maybe another part. If "1" of what you have is not enough, what is the next easy amount to get?

What is easier to do to get more power, change the conductor or change the voltage?

A helpful hint for EPEC. A thorough answer does not always need to be long.

Status
Not open for further replies.