House voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
see them everyday at 240/120. Occasionally see them where POCO supplies them in such a manner that it is 208/120 (most often multi-family)
Almost never see anything higher.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Gus, Jim D. is gonna scold you for writing those voltages that way.:D

Those numbers would usually denote 3 phase....;)

It's just hard to teach an ole dog........

(maybe his house is 3 phase.... from the direction of this thread..anything is possible :D )

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
My inspector asked my for a total count of voltage for my new house for the permit. Do you know what a total voltage would be that I can give him?

Inspectors are normally interested in the number of circuits... sounds like a classic misunderstanding.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
My inspector asked my for a total count of voltage for my new house for the permit. Do you know what a total voltage would be that I can give him?

Sounds like he's asking for a load calculation...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The question makes no sense. There is no such thing as a total voltage for a house (or any other building for that matter). It is like asking how many yards there are in a gallon, or how much a mile weighs. I cannot tell whether it is the inspector who does not understand his own question, or whether you have misinterpreted his request. If the inspector sent you anything in writing, then perhaps you could post a copy, or at least give us an exact quotation of the request.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The results of a load calculation will be in terms of total power (VA), or in terms of the equivalent current at the project's nominal voltage. That may be what the inspector wants, and that would be completely understandable. But the wording of the request, as posted by the OP, does not convey that message.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The results of a load calculation will be in terms of total power (VA), or in terms of the equivalent current at the project's nominal voltage. That may be what the inspector wants, and that would be completely understandable. But the wording of the request, as posted by the OP, does not convey that message.

Status
Not open for further replies.