Palm Springs Load calculation sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricksan76

I hope someone can help me as I am not used to doing load calculations. I uploaded a form from Palm Springs CA. That they require to fill out. I have 2 questions.

1. As far as the AC and Heating load Do I add all of the AC loads there are 2 units. 1 in the main house and 1 in the casita.

2. They have heaters on the outside patio. They are infrared, and Hard wired. Each draw 5000 watts. Where would I include them in the calculations? They have 2 of them. No heat pump. Everything is natural gas as far as water heater, dryer, and central heat.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Palm Springs Calc.jpg
    Palm Springs Calc.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 3

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Add both AC units (nameplate MCA x 240V). Put a (2) between "AC unit" and "=", and total in both slots to right.

Add all the heating, 2 IRH's and fan for central heating. Put in slot for 3 or less, multiply by 65% and put result in slot to right.

JMO...

mgookin

The form says "Optional Calculations..." which leads me to believe you can amend the format to fit the job. The closer you stay to their format the better off you'll be because they will understand your calcs more clearly. Feel free to mark it up and make notes to suit the project.

ricksan76

Patio heaters

Patio heaters

That's what I figured on the AC, but the thing that's really getting me is the heaters. These are not for central heating. They are outside for the patio. My thoughts would be to add that to the other loads section. The first section. These heaters I am talking about are 2 units that are mounted to the patio ceiling and are 5000 watts a piece. Infrared type . Would I be correct in this part of it? Personally, just from looking a this house it looks like it needs at least a 200 amp panel, and right now it has a 125.

bob

You would not include the heat and A/C. You do not show the load of the A/C units. The heat has a 65% factor

while the A/C is taken at 100%. Use the largest load.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wouldn't you take whichever is higher -- the two patio heaters plus the fan/controls of the central gas heater, or the two AC units and the fan/controls of the central air handler?

Whether you get to apply demand values to the two patio heaters, I'm not sure (it isn't really central heat). But I think you can certainly argue that the patio heaters would not be used when the air conditioning would be used. Mutual exclusion isn't forced by a thermostat, but it seems like common sense.

I did the same thing with my pool heat pump -- it says not to run it below 55F because it will freeze up, and my house heater strip heat doesn't run when it is above 50 outside (set by lockout on the thermostat). So I considered those two mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.