IEEE reference transfomer impedance data

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is this what you're looking for?
IEEE 242-1986 Pg 12.JPG
Sorry about the poor quality of the scan. At least it's legible, though.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
From GE Application Information Short-Circuit Current Calculations- see attachment.
Single Phase Transformer Impedance GE.jpg

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This is the only single-phase information I found in that IEEE book. In case you can't read the fine print below the table, it says, "*National standards do not specify %Z for single-phase transformers. Consult manufacturer for values to use in calculation." So I'm not sure how useful this will be to you, but here it is anyway.
IEEE 242-1986 Pg 23.JPG

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
It is very interesting in the new edition of IEEE 242 from 2001 it is no indication of transformer impedances.
I think these data was copied from ANSI/IEEE C 37.010 from 1979 and now are obsoleted [on 1999 Edition].:ashamed:

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It is very interesting in the new edition of IEEE 242 from 2001 it is no indication of transformer impedances.
I think these data was copied from ANSI/IEEE C 37.010 from 1979 and now are obsoleted [on 1999 Edition].:ashamed:
That's very possible. The only edition of IEEE 242 I have access to is the old 1986 one, and I know transformer design hasn't remained stagnant these past 28 years.

I got a nice spreadsheet of transformer R/X/Z values from my local Eaton rep about 5 years ago, and that's what I tend to use for my short circuit calcs. There are different values for standard, K-4 and K-13 rated; copper and aluminum windings; and 150, 115 and 80 degree temperature rise -- giving me a better chance of having my calcs match up with reality.

mivey

That's very possible. The only edition of IEEE 242 I have access to is the old 1986 one, and I know transformer design hasn't remained stagnant these past 28 years.
They have become more efficient, thus generally lower impedance.

I got a nice spreadsheet of transformer R/X/Z values from my local Eaton rep about 5 years ago, and that's what I tend to use for my short circuit calcs. There are different values for standard, K-4 and K-13 rated; copper and aluminum windings; and 150, 115 and 80 degree temperature rise -- giving me a better chance of having my calcs match up with reality.
That would be useful information to share with the class.:)

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
They have become more efficient, thus generally lower impedance.

That would be useful information to share with the class.:)
Ask, and ye shall receive...

Apparently, you can't upload Excel files, so I had to tack a ".doc" extension onto it. Just delete that part from the file name, and you should be able to open it.

I don't know if it was a work in progress when I got it, or what, but there seems to be some information missing. It's still a useful tool, though.

Attachments

• 2009-07-30_Eaton XFMR Data.xlsx.doc
    78.6 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.