WIRE SIZING

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck miner

I have a 2500 foot run from a 480v 3 phase gen set that I need to drop to 240v 3 phase at the end of the run. What size and type of wire is needed? This will be in pvc buried conduit.
Thanks Herb

lielec11

As others have already pointed out, we'll need to know the load at 240V (or 208V). From here we can calculate the size of the transformer required, and then from their the approximate primary feeder size.

Is this from the MCB on the generator?

ck miner

I guess it would help it i gave all of the info. I have a 150k 480v gen set to Un the mill. Most of the time I will be only run in at 50% load so when I can I what to charge battery's at the housing site for night use. But I Will Also be running a 200 amp 220 very induction furnace at times. Sorry for spelling I am use my phone for this post.
thanks

lielec11

I guess it would help it i gave all of the info. I have a 150k 480v gen set to Un the mill. Most of the time I will be only run in at 50% load so when I can I what to charge battery's at the housing site for night use. But I Will Also be running a 200 amp 220 very induction furnace at times. Sorry for spelling I am use my phone for this post.
thanks

150kW generator (187.5kVA)? Or 150kVA transformer?

Regardless, at 480V, 3-Phase, the full load current is approximately 180A for 150kVA.

180A x 1.25 = 225A ~ 4/0 cable. By rule of thumb you can use this feeder size for approximately 400-500 feet without worrying about voltage drop. There are plenty of calculators out there that can do this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.