Pendant Highbays. Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have a job bid. Contains 180 HID 250 watt Highbays. Rim joists are at 26 feet high to roof decking. Am guessing 24'8" to bottom of bar joist. Issue is they want the fixture bottom reflectors at 15 Feet.

This requires pendant. Also aesthetic in viewing. ( nice as possible).
I figure this to be tricky, My idea is to use Crouse hinds ALC fittings up top. Pendant with 3/4 GRC down to 16 approx. feet. With device box on end ( To install Twistlock Recept disconnect means). and Hook to accept HID lighting. Attached is photo.

Problem 1. Is device box rated for this (to hold Fixture). or do I need a definitive box for fixture only.

Problem2. Is requirements of Disconnect for Servicing per unit. Does every light need disconnect ( twistlock). And need to be close to light at 16 feet. Im sure it wont look right 10 feet away up.
Do you definitely need disconnect means. Or is their exception to the rule.

Also most of these units will end up in span between joists. which may require independent unistrut per. That 180 unit of 10 foot strut. Extensive. Cut to 6 feet to match bar joists spacing ( distance not on drawing due to already constructed blg).

Attachments

• Complete assembly.jpg
    Complete assembly.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I very may well be incorrect, but (a) I see no requirement for you to have a disconnecting means
on a hard wired HID fixture and (b) as I read 314.23(F) it appears the exception would allow the conduit to support the box & fixture provided it is GRS or IMC conduit sized the same as the box.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Just to add in case its missed nearly every single hi and low bay install Ive seen has a safety chain to supplement the hardware.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just to add in case its missed nearly every single hi and low bay install Ive seen has a safety chain to supplement the hardware.
see that also but have never actually seen the requirement

BrianMuir

The chain is for seismic restraint of the fixture. Required in my neck of the woods (Pacific North West) by building code, not electrical code.

Status
Not open for further replies.