RMC Weatherproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHughes

I've been asked to prove that the threaded connection (let's say 3/4" RMC to a threaded bell box) is weatherproof. The engineer is saying we need to use Meyers hubs. I cannot find any reference to this in the code book or in any product literature. Anyone have any ideas?:rant: Also, simply stating the connection of the RMC to the Meyers hub is the same (not including the Meyers hub to the box) as threading the conduit directly in the hub of the bell box does not phase them...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the thread on the RMC is tapered (NPT) and the female thread is also tapered, then the wrench tight connection will deform the threads to make a gastight connection.
A large assumption in this is that the thread depth in the box is great enough.
It works for water pipe, gas pipe, etc., so it should work for RMC.
Now, if the female threads are running threads instead of tapered, some may argue that the resulting connection is watertight in practice, but there is not the same level of engineering backup for the argument.

Tapatalk!

growler

I've been asked to prove that the threaded connection (let's say 3/4" RMC to a threaded bell box) is weatherproof. The engineer is saying we need to use Meyers hubs. I cannot find any reference to this in the code book or in any product literature. Anyone have any ideas?:rant:

If what you need is "weatherproof" then I think the engineer is an idiot.

The bell box is considered weatherproof and they come with some funky little screw in plugs that are supposed to keep moisture out for unused openings. Conduit is going to make a better seal than those plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.