Panel wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetneons

So I am just trying to figure this all out, main disconnect is on one side of the house, then on the other side of the house I have the panel in the garage. Two hot, one neutral, one ground coming in. Two ground bus bars, one has the ground wire, two neutral bus bars, one has the wire. All four busses have branch wires going to them. So if this panel is basically acting as a sub-panel since the disconnect is by the POCO meter, and no disconnect in the panel, and from what I have learned the busses need to be floating busses, how does the one ground bar, and the one neutral bar work if they do not have the main wiring going to them, and no tie bar to say tie ground and ground. I am just confused on the two busses without main wires going to them how they would work? And is it okay that the disconnect is outside and not withing sight of the panel in the garage with so many breakers. Thank you in advance for the info and help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok, before we go much further, do you have a code book?

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know what you mean by no wires going to them. Originally you said you have 4 conductors coming from the main disconnect to the sub panel. This is correct. The two hots would land on the main bus lugs at the top of the panel and the neutral wire(white wire) would connect to the neutral buss but this bus should not have a bonding screw connecting it to the box. It is floating in that respect but the white conductor from the main disconnect must connect to that bar. The equipment grounding conductor or green wire would connect to the ground bar which should connect directly to the can. At this point the neutral and equipment grounding conductor should not be connected together in any way. At the main disconnect they originate from the same busbar.

streetneons

021.JPG 023.JPG
Here are the two pictures, Left pic has a neutral bus, and ground bus, the ground bus has the grounding wire at the top.
Pic right has the ground bar, and the neutral bus with the wire going to it. No tie bars, no bonding screws.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Two ground bus bars, one has the ground wire, two neutral bus bars, one has the wire. All four busses have branch wires going to them.
Ok, ground busses or bars should be connected directly to the can by screws. They would not need to be tied together by a jumper wire. The metal of the box does that. (I'll probably pay for saying that!) ;)
The 2 neutral bars should be connected together ( or jumped out) and isolated from ground by insulators.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Ok, ground busses or bars should be connected directly to the can by screws. They would not need to be tied together by a jumper wire. The metal of the box does that. (I'll probably pay for saying that!) ;)
The 2 neutral bars should be connected together ( or jumped out) and isolated from ground by insulators.

And the insulated tie between the two neutral busbars is visible behind the big lugs on the busbars.

GerryB

What you have is a main lug panel where the installer put in two ground bars which maybe confused you. From the amount of empty spaces it looks like he only needed one. Also as was noted the neutral bars are connected by the insulated bar running behind the buss. On other panels this bar is in front and more readily seen. Also this is not a piece of equipment where you need to see the disconnect.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

J.P.

Did you understand the answers you got?

The tie bar for your neutrals is that black strap running behind the buses. This is normal.

The tie "bar" for your ground bars is the panel itself. I usually run #6 between them though.

Having a house panel be disconnected outside on the other side of the house is a bit unusual. But I have seen it here and there.

You could have a qualified electrician check everything over for your own piece of mind and have him answer any specific questions while you and him are right there looking at it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.