heat trace within storm drain? what happens if a plumber snakes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well now I have to apologize to Kwired and the group.

Hello everyone, my name is John and I did plumbing over the weekend. It was just a faucet replacement and I can stop anytime I want. It's not like I put in new drain lines or anything.:angel: My sponsor says that it's ok because it was broken and needed to be replaced, but I just feel so dirty now.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I must be missing something obvious. Aren't storm drain pipes sloped just like any other waste pipe? Why would you need to heat trace something that won't have standing water in it?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Well now I have to apologize to Kwired and the group.

Hello everyone, my name is John and I did plumbing over the weekend. It was just a faucet replacement and I can stop anytime I want. It's not like I put in new drain lines or anything.:angel: My sponsor says that it's ok because it was broken and needed to be replaced, but I just feel so dirty now.

you ARE dirty. recreational plumbing is still plumbing.

now your sponsor.... HE has a problem. i'll bet he has a stillson wrench hidden in the trunk of his car.
and butt crack showing... a clear sign of a closet plumber.

and anyone who puts heat trace down any kind of gravity feed pipe, deserves whatever happens to
him, the heat trace, and the pipe.

i can see the toilet now, with a cord coming out of it, plugged into the wall, with a little sign...

"unplug before using."

hot chit.

kwired

Electron manager
I must be missing something obvious. Aren't storm drain pipes sloped just like any other waste pipe? Why would you need to heat trace something that won't have standing water in it?
I totally agree with you.

Maybe only one exception is at a building where the rain gutter maybe transitions to an underground pipe for a short distance to cross a sidewalk or something similar. That underground portion can and will plug up with ice and when melting on the roof happens that underground portion is often still below freezing, any resulting back up of water may mean it runs on the sidewalk and if it freezes there results in a slip and fall hazard. Usually this kind of thawing off the roof does not result in that much flow so it doesn't need much of a opening in the underground portion but does need an opening or it will back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.