no common area for a two flat, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1061

The old thread is here, but it's closed now.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=152733
The last point was to use 240.21(B)(5).
When I first saw it I thought it was perfect, but I'm not so sure anymore. The wording is "except at the point of LOAD termination". This is what I thought of, but again I don't think this is right.
img089.jpg
I think that would be more like this:
img090.jpg
Which is against Chicago's code. You need to get a special permission letter to do this.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• img089.jpg
    img089.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 0
  • img090.jpg
    img090.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mike1061

It

The first drawing is one main disconnect then goes to the meters then to a disconnect for each unit. The second drawing is against the code because the inspector said so. I failed once because of that. But he did say I could apply for special permission. Which was a pain to say the least. I think the complaint is the apartment is on the second floor and all the disconnects have to be on the first floor or basement. Thanks. Mike

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In the first drawing, since the (fused or breaker?) 200A disconnect would be ahead of the meters, I would expect that the utility would want it sealed. Will that be a problem?

Tapatalk!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As I understand it, the situation is complicated by the fact that Chicago does not allow the disconnect to be outside. Is that correct?

Tapatalk!

mike1061

In the first drawing, since the (fused or breaker?) 200A disconnect would be ahead of the meters, I would expect that the utility would want it sealed. Will that be a problem?

Tapatalk!

I could put a pad lock on it. The box would have to be accesable right? Because there would be connections inside.
Thanks
Mike

mike1061

Tapatalk!

I've thought about this some more. I don't think you need to seal it. When you have a 6 flat, the service comes into the disconnect first. Then to the moduler meter banks.

So can anybody see anything wrong with the plan?
Thanks
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.