Door Key Card Reader System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjwillelec

So about a month and a half ago, I installed a Door Key Card Reader System (PBO) into two exterior doors at a Hotel. They called for a 24 volt power supply so I picked up a couple of 120/24 volt 40 VA transformer to supply the power to each system. Just today, I went back because one of the doors wasn't operating. I got there and the transformer wasn't working...120 VAC in, 0 VAC out. So, I replaced it and when I turned it on, it "hummed" loudly and I read only 12 to 13 VAC. When I disconnected the card reader from the circuit, I get 28 VAC and no loud "humming".

I spend an hour on the phone with the company who supplied the system...after many trips back to talk to "the guys who repair these", I'm told the relay card was fried due to over voltage...said they're only good up to 26.2 VAC. I'm having a hard time believing this...I mean it worked just fine for a month and a half, and so far, the other system on the other door is still working just fine!

Anyone have any similar experiences with something like this?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Of course it's your fault. An open circuit voltage of 28v on a 24v transformer is not abnormal. Tell them to replace their controller under warranty.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.