Question about service feeder breaker size

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I am wiring a house that will be fed from a 200 amp meter main out on a pole about 50 feet
from the house. The meter main only has a 125 amp in it to feed the house power with. My question is can I still install a 200 amp main breaker panel and basically just use the 200 amp breaker as a disconnect since the wire is protected by a 125 amp breaker at the pole? Or would I be better off Unbolting the 200 amp main off the bus and installing a 125 amp breaker with a lockdown kit? I will be running 2/0 aluminum wire for feeders.

The house is tiny but has lots of two pole circuits so I need a fairly big panel to avoid having to twin anything. Especially since I can't twin down the arc fault breakers.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You're fine with the 200 a panel. They do make 40 circuit 125 amp panels ya know. with main.

Buck Parrish

I didn't look at the table yet. I was just guessing. Might even be smaller because it's a feeder

I was thinking #2 for some reason. It's just more readily available here. When it comes to direct burial. Here we usually have #2 AL or 4/0 AL.
But you could be using conduit or what ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.