getting paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennspark

so..come on then..cards on the table:

who gets stupidness and customers talkin s**t when it comes to getting paid?...is it just us in the UK...or what?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

who gets stupidness and customers talkin s**t when it comes to getting paid?...is it just us in the UK...or what?

Oh, trust me. This is not unique to the UK.
Over the years I've seen a lot of companies go bankrupt do to jobs going south on them. Some of them quite large and respected. The reasons vary and of course some are the electrical contractor's own fault.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sorry to hear that it happens also on the other side of the pond.
It can be really bad here too.
I just had a customer tell me how and when in the future they were going to pay me after I was told I would get paid at the time of completion.
Really got me in a tivy.

glennspark

It's universal. Even more common when working for a general contractor.
lol...
i know your plight....i just get all `cross` when i hear that stuff like :

`sorry but im waitin`....lolffs

heres another classic:

`well...can you come back on friday`......yeah...rite!!

`ill have it next week...sometime....trust me ill ring......

look its all horse dung...we know it is...

i have one trundlin along at the mo....silly cow thinks she`s goin to pis me about for ?450...

told her straight its the cash love or small claims court

its the principle see....

how about you boys n girls over yonder?

glennspark

Customers think we are the bank of Electrical.
hmm
listen....i just want to get paid...
i have to go over Bradford on sunday early afternoon....trust me i dont want to...(if you have ever seen Bradford you`ll know what i mean)...its a pigsty....

but anyway...

got to go over there to see to a customer (make him feel important)...but he has plenty of work on....thats how you get paid...

glennspark

Sorry to hear that it happens also on the other side of the pond.
It can be really bad here too.
I just had a customer tell me how and when in the future they were going to pay me after I was told I would get paid at the time of completion.
Really got me in a tivy.
well...i dont know about you guys in the states....but i would snip them f**kin cables...leave em without juice...lol...except we cant just do that in the UK.....something about an EU directive.....

bloody pull us out of europe tomorrow i would....

glennspark

rite...talked enough crap for one day....

mornin all (i aint workin today)...so its bedtime for me for a few hours...

take care guys.

glen.
GLMelectrical

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

it's the new economic model...

we will issue a PO, and then float it for a few weeks past net 30.
it's a way of incurring debt without it showing on the books.

i'm very fortunate, i have excellent customers largely.

however, excellent customers are only as good as their money feed,
so an excellent customer with shitty customers of their own can slow
things down further down the food chain.

one of my favorite customers does the same thing i have to do...
when i send off an invoice, i print another copy of it, and attach checks
to cover the expenses incurred on that job.

when the money shows up, i distribute the checks.

the phrase "you can't transmit something you haven't got" seems to
apply well here.

i've got one customer that is a slow pay. you wait thirty days, then
start calling and asking for the check. takes another two weeks.
so they run at 45 days net. it's chronic.

so, the hours you will have to spend being annoyed and having to
call them, and go thru the whole drama thing where they pretend
that it's just going out the door is reflected in the pricing of all
future jobs.

said customer is paying 25% of the bid price added to every bid,
on top of markup and everything, as a fee for putting up with them.

kwired

Electron manager
well...i dont know about you guys in the states....but i would snip them f**kin cables...leave em without juice...lol...except we cant just do that in the UK.....something about an EU directive.....

bloody pull us out of europe tomorrow i would....

There is a problem with that and contractor laws in most areas over here, once you install it, it is no longer yours to remove/damage/disable/etc. even if you have not been paid for it:(

I have heard many clever ideas though, some maybe still not legal but still clever. Once heard a story (might have even been from this forum) of a mason that bricked up a fireplace, installed a pane of glass in the flue that effectively blocked the flue. Meanwhile he doesn't get paid, or at least doesn't get fully paid for his services and installation. When customer calls and complains about problems with the flue not venting and expects him to fix it he says he will gladly warranty the problem once he gets the rest of his pay for installation. He gets his payment comes to the site and drops a brick down the flue breaking the glass, cleans up the glass at the fireplace and informs them it will probably be fine now.:cool:

glennspark

There is a problem with that and contractor laws in most areas over here, once you install it, it is no longer yours to remove/damage/disable/etc. even if you have not been paid for it:(

I have heard many clever ideas though, some maybe still not legal but still clever. Once heard a story (might have even been from this forum) of a mason that bricked up a fireplace, installed a pane of glass in the flue that effectively blocked the flue. Meanwhile he doesn't get paid, or at least doesn't get fully paid for his services and installation. When customer calls and complains about problems with the flue not venting and expects him to fix it he says he will gladly warranty the problem once he gets the rest of his pay for installation. He gets his payment comes to the site and drops a brick down the flue breaking the glass, cleans up the glass at the fireplace and informs them it will probably be fine now.:cool:
its a similar type of thing over here...

i could drop the busbar out of the RCD

they cant pretend that it would leave them destitute as its only for the extention they have had built...they still have the old kitchen....coming off the existing BS3036 board...

GUNNING

Meeting of the minds/agreement, time frame, compensation.

Meeting of the minds/agreement, time frame, compensation.

its a similar type of thing over here...

i could drop the busbar out of the RCD

they cant pretend that it would leave them destitute as its only for the extention they have had built...they still have the old kitchen....coming off the existing BS3036 board...

Get paid up front or qualify with a credit card number ,exp date and ccv on back. Then process the card when the bill is due with a note/invoice/receipt to the customer. There is no contract without compensation. That is what we do "contract".:slaphead:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Get paid up front or qualify with a credit card number ,exp date and ccv on back. Then process the card when the bill is due with a note/invoice/receipt to the customer. There is no contract without compensation. That is what we do "contract".:slaphead:

I don't know about the left Coast I seem to get fewer customers willing to give credit cards in the last 10 months.
For a while the customer offered a card up at the time they called for service even before we arrove at the job. Now it's like pulling teeth.

Then you have the CA law that states you cannot take any money up front on small jobs.

kwired

Electron manager
Then you have the CA law that states you cannot take any money up front on small jobs.

Can you bill in increments as work progresses?

Split a $1000 job into 100 equal $10 increments and bill them for every 1% of contract as it is completed, you may end up handing them more than one $10 invoice at at time during certain phases of the project.:lol:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Can you bill in increments as work progresses?

Split a $1000 job into 100 equal $10 increments and bill them for every 1% of contract as it is completed, you may end up handing them more than one $10 invoice at at time during certain phases of the project.:lol:

Jobs under 750 that you start same day you contract you cannot take any money what so ever. Most don't obey this but you are at risk of loosing all the money if your customer tries to screw you.

You can't split the job either into smaller parts if it really is part of the whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.