Location of service switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

In the services article, it says the disconnection switch needs to be as close as to the point of entry as possible. Would it be allowed to have a service end box which brings power to a utility C/T cabinet which then would bring power to a main disconnect switch? I would think that the order would have to be service end box followed by disconnect switch followed by C/T cabinet (tapped ahead of switch).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would think that the POCO would want their CT's ahead of the service disconnect switch then they could lock the CT cabinet. Who is the utility?

kwired

Electron manager
In the services article, it says the disconnection switch needs to be as close as to the point of entry as possible. Would it be allowed to have a service end box which brings power to a utility C/T cabinet which then would bring power to a main disconnect switch? I would think that the order would have to be service end box followed by disconnect switch followed by C/T cabinet (tapped ahead of switch).
You do sometimes run into situations where POCO wants a disconnect ahead of metering devcies, in those instances that disconnect is usually non fused and is not the "service disconnecting means" according to NEC, and there is a NEC compliant "service disconnecting means" on the load side of metering equipment somewhere.

Metering equipment is not service equipment, it is not load side of servcie equipment, it is just a point in the system where measurements are taken, and must comply with supply side rules if located at or on supply side of service disconnecting means, and must comply with load side rules if located on load side of service disconnecting means.

cppoly

Thanks. I take it the utility company's blue book requirements supercede the NEC and until the utility requirements are met, then NEC kicks in?

darekelec

How to use this book? It shows me only 14 pages of 'list of content' out of 125 plus pages of book.
I would like to read the content but can't find it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How to use this book? It shows me only 14 pages of 'list of content' out of 125 plus pages of book.
I would like to read the content but can't find it.

It's Con Ed's cheapo way of not producing an entire book. It's basically a table of contents with links that you can click on (try clicking on a particular topic). I would like a pdf of the entire document but haven't found one.

Status
Not open for further replies.