Listed Supplemental AFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
210.12 (3) allows a listed supplemental arc fault circuit breaker.
Who makes one one? How is it different from an combo AFCI
This is yet another code provision that requires a product that does not yet exist. With the so called "listed supplemental circuit breaker" it would allow you to use NM cable, with the stipulations in the article, to the first outlet where you would have a listed AFCI recep.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As far as I know, they haven't even written a standard for that product. If they do, I am not sure it would be a cost effective option and if it was cost effective, why would a breaker manufacturer make that product. The only reason for that product would be to increase the sales of outlet type AFCIs...I don't understand why a breaker manufacturer would ever want to do that.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Perhaps that is to cover pieces of equipment such as fireplace inserts in bedrooms. Maybe these pieces of equipment will have their own afci in the unit. Doesn't make sense though since the wire that feeds it must also be protected.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In the case of a series arc, protection anywhere in the circuit will be effective.
For a parallel arc, the sensor would have to upstream to see the arc current.

Tapatalk!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The UL studies said that as long as the fault pulls at least 300 amps, a standard breaker will trip soon enough to prevent a fire. That study is the basis for the "unprotected" home run. As GoldDigger said, the outlet type device can provide protection for a series arc (if such a thing even exists) on the home run cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.