20 amp AFCI tripping on load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene South

I have inspected two houses where in both cases electric powered brand new exercise equipment (treadmills) caused the main panel 20 amp AFCI breaker to trip. In both of the cases these were bedroom circuits that had only minimal electrical load, meaning maybe an alarm clock or lamp were in use in addition to the treadmill. Doe this represent a malfunction of the AFCI? or an expected reaction? I would think the microchip inside the AFCI would be programed for a different sort of electrical signature than a simple surge. Has anyone else seen this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Treadmills are notorious for tripping arc faults. There is nothing wrong with the wiring and I don't have an answer as to why treadmills, vacuums and certain electronics do not work well with afci

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It represents the fact that the no one really has any idea of how to make an AFCI that actually works.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've heard this from a few different electricians. Most of the time just changing to a different brand of AFCI takes care of it. Now I don't want to start a debate on the UL listing concerning the different panels/breakers, just passing this info along!:cool:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It represents the fact that the no one really has any idea of how to make an AFCI that actually works.

No one knows how to make a real low cost AFCI, via only a few logic circuits. AFCI technology used in line recloser and MV substation breakers has about the processing power of a desktop computer where the wave form is ocilliographically analyzed and equations are applied to the data to determine if its a real arc fault or not. Also comes in handy at determining the possible cause and where along the line.

If standard residential AFCIs really had the accurate ability without error to detect between a brush motor and say a real series arc fault at a loose connection they would have the processing power of at least an I phone. Of course no one would want to pay the high price for that so all manufacturers can do is make compromises and hope an AFCI doesnt trip on motor but does on an arc fault.

In my opinion AFCI technology is way to under developed and unreliable to be code mandated but is is what it is:rant:

kwired

Electron manager
No one knows how to make a real low cost AFCI, via only a few logic circuits. AFCI technology used in line recloser and MV substation breakers has about the processing power of a desktop computer where the wave form is ocilliographically analyzed and equations are applied to the data to determine if its a real arc fault or not. Also comes in handy at determining the possible cause and where along the line.

If standard residential AFCIs really had the accurate ability without error to detect between a brush motor and say a real series arc fault at a loose connection they would have the processing power of at least an I phone. Of course no one would want to pay the high price for that so all manufacturers can do is make compromises and hope an AFCI doesnt trip on motor but does on an arc fault.

In my opinion AFCI technology is way to under developed and unreliable to be code mandated but is is what it is:rant:
But manufacturers are ones that pushed it to be in code so they can get some return on their investments even though they don't really have a fully developed product, plus they possibly gave a false impression that it has the ability to do more than it really does to further push their product:(

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If standard residential AFCIs really had the accurate ability without error to detect between a brush motor and say a real series arc fault at a loose connection they would have the processing power of at least an I phone. ...
I have not seen any real evidence that self sustaining arcing faults can even exist at dwelling unit voltage levels. I have seen evidence of glowing connections that make excessive heat, but the AFCI does not have any way to detect that fire causing problem.

kwired

Electron manager
I have not seen any real evidence that self sustaining arcing faults can even exist at dwelling unit voltage levels. I have seen evidence of glowing connections that make excessive heat, but the AFCI does not have any way to detect that fire causing problem.
Solution - start using medium voltages in dwellings, then arcing faults will be easier to detect:cool:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
But manufacturers are ones that pushed it to be in code so they can get some return on their investments even though they don't really have a fully developed product, plus they possibly gave a false impression that it has the ability to do more than it really does to further push their product:(

Pretty much. Supposedly it was Cutler Hammer that got the ball rolling. But in any case take a new house that has say 32 circuits requiring AFCIs would have taken a $2 breaker now take a $36 breaker. $64 vs $1,152 bucks per new home, on average adding about several thousand dollars to a new home. Thats 18 times more per house, and at the very least 18 times more revenue for the residential circuit breaker division. That equates to at least 18 times more houses being built in the US in terms of profit. Even an economic boom couldn't do that.

So without a doubt AFCIs will be held as something great.

Self sustaining arc faults at 120 volts are almost non existent. At a loose connection there is some chance but loose connections are more likely to go to a glowing fault than an arc fault. Glowing faults are the real issue that needs to be addressed if we wanted to eliminate electrical fires.

The major fire prevention feature in AFCIs is actually the 30ma ground fault protection rather than the arc fault circuit. Its far more likely to catch the driven in nail, over driven staple, failing equipment or the miss wire than the arc fault logic since most of the time these conditions will cause the neutral to fault to ground or the hot to leak to ground rather than showing an arcing signature. Unfortunately one maker has taken the 30ma GFI out of them:roll:

Arc fault logic does theoretically help in a real arcing condition, but at this point manufacturers dont have AFCIs that accurately differentiate between normal arcs and dangerous arcs. The end result is AFCIs tripping on completely safe UL listed equipment making for some very frustrated electricians and home owners. From what I gather/guess, manufacturers are faced with then having to make the arc detection logic less sensitive, which ultimately sacrifices the dangerous arc fault detection feature they brag about.

Cmp requirements that will have made electrical installations safer would have been more circuits and if they really wanted to 30ma GFI protection on general use outlets (which is good idea IMO). 30ma gives great protection against NM pierced by nails and accurately catches neutral/hot ground faults without the nuisance tripping of AFCIs. 30ma GFI protection is the norm on most circuits outside of the US and Canada while AFCI breakers are unheard of all over the world under the IEC standards without issue. Yet somehow the US and Canada are the only countries using AFCIs.

More circuits would help many times over AFCIs, such as increasing the va per foot requirements. One of the best fire prevention measures was adding dedicated 20 amp circuits to bathroom outlets. Normally the upstairs bathrooms were fed from a 15 amp circuit tapping off a bedroom. People would plug 1800 watt hair dryers into bathroom outlets fed from a circuit with lights already on it, sometimes a space heater running in the bedroom as well in colder climates. Since the inception of this I no longer hear of new houses tripping breakers when a hair dryer is being used in the bathroom and supposedly 2nd floor electrical fires have gone down because of it.

Ironically, since AFCI requirements electricians have started to wire houses to the code minimum circuit requirements to off set the cost of AFCIs. 2 bedrooms that might have been both on separate circuits are no one:happyno: So now, we have fewer circuits, under more stress, protected by an unproven device, that easily fails under a voltage surge, that often just ends up being taken out because its a nuisance:rant:. CMP has developed an excellent fire prevention technique:happysad:.

Solution - start using medium voltages in dwellings, then arcing faults will be easier to detect:cool:

:lol: That would help with copper prices. LV, MV aside its more the logic used to detect arcing signatures than the voltage. From the loads MV feeder serve accurate fault detection/isolation is a must. I dont think pocos would be to happy having a 13.8kv substation breaker dropping 3000 customers every time a CNC machine starts up or someone has an arc welder going in a hobby shop. Or a dropped primary on concrete going unnoticed. Thus the requirements drive arc detection software in these devices to be well thought out. Plus, a good chunk of breakers and recloser with arc detection software will often tell you what phase (s) were involved and approximate how far down the line it has taken place. Beats the heck out of meggering then divide and concquer:)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Pretty much. Supposedly it was Cutler Hammer that got the ball rolling. But in any case take a new house that has say 32 circuits requiring AFCIs would have taken a $2 breaker now take a $36 breaker. $64 vs $1,152 bucks per new home, on average adding about several thousand dollars to a new home. Thats 18 times more per house, and at the very least 18 times more revenue for the residential circuit breaker division. That equates to at least 18 times more houses being built in the US in terms of profit. Even an economic boom couldn't do that.

So without a doubt AFCIs will be held as something great.

Self sustaining arc faults at 120 volts are almost non existent. At a loose connection there is some chance but loose connections are more likely to go to a glowing fault than an arc fault. Glowing faults are the real issue that needs to be addressed if we wanted to eliminate electrical fires.

The major fire prevention feature in AFCIs is actually the 30ma ground fault protection rather than the arc fault circuit. Its far more likely to catch the driven in nail, over driven staple, failing equipment or the miss wire than the arc fault logic since most of the time these conditions will cause the neutral to fault to ground or the hot to leak to ground rather than showing an arcing signature. Unfortunately one maker has taken the 30ma GFI out of them:roll:

Arc fault logic does theoretically help in a real arcing condition, but at this point manufacturers dont have AFCIs that accurately differentiate between normal arcs and dangerous arcs. The end result is AFCIs tripping on completely safe UL listed equipment making for some very frustrated electricians and home owners. From what I gather/guess, manufacturers are faced with then having to make the arc detection logic less sensitive, which ultimately sacrifices the dangerous arc fault detection feature they brag about.

Cmp requirements that will have made electrical installations safer would have been more circuits and if they really wanted to 30ma GFI protection on general use outlets (which is good idea imo). 30ma gives great protection against NM pierced by nails and accurately catches neutral/hot ground faults without the nuisance tripping of AFCIs. 30ma GFI protection is the norm on most circuits outside of the US and Canada while AFCI breakers are unheard of all over the world under the IEC standards without issue. Yet somehow the US and Canada are the only countries using AFCIs.

More circuits would help many times over AFCIs, such as increasing the va per foot requirements. One of the best fire prevention measures was adding dedicated 20 amp circuits to bathroom outlets. Normally the upstairs bathrooms were fed from a 15 amp circuit tapping off a bedroom. People would plug 1800 watt hair dryers into bathroom outlets fed from a circuit with lights already on it, sometimes a space heater running in the bedroom as well in colder climates. Since the inception of this I no longer hear of new houses tripping breakers when a hair dryer is being used in the bathroom and supposedly 2nd floor electrical fires have gone down because of it.

Ironically, since AFCI requirements electricians have started to wire houses to the code minimum circuit requirements to off set the cost of AFCIs. 2 bedrooms that might have been both on separate circuits are no one:happyno: So now, we have fewer circuits, under more stress, protected by an unproven device, that easily fails under a voltage surge, that often just ends up being taken out because its a nuisance:rant:. CMP has developed an excellent fire prevention technique:happysad:.

:lol: That would help with copper prices. LV, MV aside its more the logic used to detect arcing signatures than the voltage. From the loads MV feeder serve accurate fault detection/isolation is a must. I dont think pocos would be to happy having a 13.8kv substation breaker dropping 3000 customers every time a CNC machine starts up or someone has an arc welder going in a hobby shop. Or a dropped primary on concrete going unnoticed. Thus the requirements drive arc detection software in these devices to be well thought out. Plus, a good chunk of breakers and recloser with arc detection software will often tell you what phase (s) were involved and approximate how far down the line it has taken place. Beats the heck out of meggering then divide and conquer:)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Listen, fellas...and any ladies that may also be perusing this thread.

This whole motors on arc-fault problem can be solved by somebody who can invent an adapter to get between the outlet and the motor. Something that plugs into an AFCI protected receptacle and stabilizes the motor load in such a way that masks it from the AFCI.

PetrosA

30ma GFI protection is the norm on most circuits outside of the US and Canada while AFCI breakers are unheard of all over the world under the IEC standards without issue. Yet somehow the US and Canada are the only countries using AFCIs.

Actually, the manufacturers, especially those with large investments in the arc-fault business in NA, are hard at work abroad...

In Europe:

http://blog.schneider-electric.com/...rnational-standards-for-arc-fault-protection/

http://w3.siemens.com/powerdistribu...ices/5sm6-afd-units/pages/5sm6-afd-units.aspx

http://www.siemens.com/press/en/pre...-cities/low-medium-voltage/iclmv201203003.htm

http://www.cenelec.eu/dyn/www/f?p=104:110:1061665336402885::::FSP_PROJECT,FSP_LANG_ID:24744,25

In Australia:

http://electricalconnection.com.au/article/10014773/arc-fault-circuit-interrupters

So obviously the powers-that-be are hard at work pushing the Kool-Aid.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Thank you for the links :) Looks like I have reading to do.

Anyway I really hope that if the worst happens and the IEC does go AFCI they will be better than what we are being given in the states. In any case my sympathy to other countries ahead of time:( :p

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Anyway I really hope that if the worst happens and the IEC does go AFCI they will be better than what we are being given in the states. In any case my sympathy to other countries ahead of time:( :p
How can it work better when the types of faults they are trying to protect against don't really exist? For some testing UL prepares a carbonized path using ~7,000 volts across the pre-damaged insulation. Once they have that path, then they test the AFCI. The have one document that shows overdriven staples or NM damaged by a hammer hit cannot produce an arc with sufficient energy to cause a fire or trip an AFCI. The AFCI needs to see 8 half cycles and the damaged NM arc was clearing and not re-striking at the 1/2 cycle zero crossing.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
How can it work better when the types of faults they are trying to protect against don't really exist? For some testing UL prepares a carbonized path using ~7,000 volts across the pre-damaged insulation. Once they have that path, then they test the AFCI. The have one document that shows overdriven staples or NM damaged by a hammer hit cannot produce an arc with sufficient energy to cause a fire or trip an AFCI. The AFCI needs to see 8 half cycles and the damaged NM arc was clearing and not re-striking at the 1/2 cycle zero crossing.

My bad, you are correct. I was thinking more loose connection at a switch or outlet being detected rather than a treadmill tripping them, but at 120 volts arc faults are a witch hunt. Its funny though one of the tests for an arcing lamp cord involve it being wrapped in combustible cotton. I wish CMP came up with other ways to prevent fires rather than this fairy tale. For one backstabbing outlets and switches should be banned but its not;)

kwired

Electron manager
Listen, fellas...and any ladies that may also be perusing this thread.

This whole motors on arc-fault problem can be solved by somebody who can invent an adapter to get between the outlet and the motor. Something that plugs into an AFCI protected receptacle and stabilizes the motor load in such a way that masks it from the AFCI.
Then consumers will purchase these adapters and use them everywhere - still making the AFCI somewhat pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.