stranded & solid same circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworker

20 amp circuit, 12 awg. Some of the circuit is ran with solid and some with stranded. Any code issues or any electrical issues? Some of the neutral is a mix and so is some of the hot.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There is no code issue other than using proper connectors and devices listed for the purpose.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No issue. We often use EMT for home runs from the panel to a central location with stranded conductors and then continue on with solid MC cable.

darekelec

Only to give this thread some spin...

Somebody asked nyc electrical board in 2012 question on how to terminate stranded wire on device.
They answered;

CHAPTER 3: Wiring Methods and Materials (Code Section 300.1 to 398-104)
Section 300 - (10/3/2012)
Q: I want to secure #12 AWG THHN stranded conductors to the screw terminal of wiring devices, duplex receptacles and/or toggle switches, even though the stranded conductor spreads and does not make full contact with the screw terminal and remains undamaged throughout the maneuver. Can I just wrap the stranded conductor around the screw terminal and tighten using a torque screwdriver or must I use a T & B Sta-Kon crimp terminal to prevent the strands from spreading? There is another method that comes to mind, strip a small portion of insulation and allow it to cover the tip of the strands, thereby minimizing the amount of spread at the conductor end. If I must use a crimp terminal or some other method, please explain why since there is no mention of this in Section 110.4 or anywhere else in the Code.
I understand some contractors have received a violation on this matter using section 110.14 of the Code.
A. UL Listed receptacles are evaluated for use with solid and stranded conductors. Also, 2012 UL White Book permits terminals of a receptacle are permitted for use with certified field-installed crimped-on wire connectors or an assembly, if so identified by the manufacturer. (Refer to UL product category RTRT).
General use switches are Listed for use with only solid conductors unless otherwise indicated in their installation instructions. 2012 UL White Book doesn?t include permitting language to use certified crimped-on wire connectors or an assembly. (Refer to UL product category WMUZ).

Does that make us to use solid wires on snap switches or is it 90.4?

below is a link to Q and A for reference
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/codes_and_reference_materials/code_interpre2012.shtml#chp3

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It depends on the listing information and instructions for the specific device.
Not all snap switches are alike.
Some provide pressure plate connections and some do not.
The attached interpretation is clear that you must look at device instructions on.
Even though you may not use a termination, you may attach a solid pigtail to the stranded wire.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
It has been brought up on this site a few times before that most switches and receptacles with screw terminals are acceptable to terminate stranded conductors to. Seems like information supporting this came from UL white book. I know I do this quite frequently, have never had it rejected by an inspector, and have not had any call backs for failed connections either. I have had callbacks for failed connections involving solid conductors though, so it may not be as bad of a practice as some tend to think it is. When pushing a device back into a box is when solid conductors have the most strain on connections if the conductor is not trained to go in properly and that is what loosens up those connections many times. Stranded conductors push into the box easier and have less strain on the termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.