Rule for following blueprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Can you cite the code that does not permit the EC to make a change.
I was under the impression the EC can submit changes.
You can submit changes, to the EE, but the changes aren't to be made until after the EE has approved them. Now we know that never really happens, but.....

The law is either in the Business and Professions Code or the Contractors State License Law.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If I was the EC, keeping in mind that no such plans are on file around here, but if they were, I would still be going to that site and taking a look for myself at what is there before making plans for how to attack a particular job. Mistakes happen, things may get changed either with or without proper documentation, and that is just how I operate. Even on totally new construction I usually take a look at the site before any work is done and sometimes makes the plans seem to look a little different than if I never saw the site.
Well I figured that would come up and I wouldn't do a job that I didn't look at first either, I was simply using it as an example. We have people miss 1hr and 2hr walls all the time, even though they are on the original plans. EE's and arch's are the worst about going out to jobs and looking at them first.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Can you cite the code that does not permit the EC to make a change.
I was under the impression the EC can submit changes.
It's in the Professional Engineers Act.
6735.3. Signing and sealing of electrical engineering documents
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](a) All electrical engineering plans, specifications, calculations, and reports (hereinafter referred to as "documents") prepared by, or under the responsible charge of, a licensed electrical engineer shall include his or her name and license number. Interim documents shall include a notation as to the intended purpose of the document, such as "preliminary," "not for construction," "for plan check only," or "for review only." All electrical engineering plans and specifications that are permitted or that are to be released for construction shall bear the signature and seal or stamp of the licensee and the date of signing and sealing or stamping. All final electrical engineering calculations and reports shall bear the signature and seal or stamp of the licensee and the date of signing and sealing or stamping. If electrical engineering plans are required to be signed and sealed or stamped and have multiple sheets, the signature, seal or
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2014 Professional Engineers Act 13 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]stamp, and date of signing and sealing or stamping shall appear on each sheet of the plans. If electrical engineering specifications, calculations, and reports are required to be signed and sealed or stamped and have multiple pages, the signature, seal or stamp, and date of signing and sealing or stamping shall appear at a minimum on the title sheet, cover sheet, or signature sheet.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a licensed electrical engineer who signs electrical engineering documents shall not be responsible for damage caused by subsequent changes to or uses of those documents, if the subsequent changes or uses, including changes or uses made by state or local governmental agencies, are not authorized or approved by the licensed electrical engineer who originally signed the documents, provided that the engineering service rendered by the electrical engineer who signed the documents was not also a proximate cause of the damage.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I find it disturbing the implication that a document created for plan check will not be used for construction!
:)

Tapatalk!
While I saw the smiley face, I'm sure you know from other posts, the "not for construction" set, is to bid only, not to build by. What it usually means is that they are still in plan check.

I am a little confused, are you the inspector or the installing contractor?

PJHolguin :cool:

I was requested to conduct an electrical rough-in inspection yesterday for the project. When I arrived at the jobsite I found that the rough-in was incomplete and was not done in accordance with the approved electrical drawings. There was also yet another change to the floor plan. This project has been stymied by several changes during construction resulting in multiple re-iterations of the plans and specifications as well as significant delay and cost to the owner. Florida Statute waives the requirement for engineered MEP drawings under specific circumstances and allows the contractor licensed in that particular discipline to accept responsibility for design and code compliance (see attachment). In this instance, you may want to have the electrical subcontractor of record provide the electrical as-built drawings, revised load calcs etc.. You may then submit them as an addendum. This should expedite review and approval of the changes and facilitate the electrical inspection while saving the owner time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.