Halos New Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Halo has come out with a great light for a shower area where you don't have the depth for a can but want the looks of one. It is a SLD606830 Halo and is good for wet locations. It fits in a standard nail on box that is 2 1/2" deep. That bracket there is not shown where it should be. Basically the led module fits inside the box . The bracket has a pocket where the module fits and you just twist the fixture in place. I have install 4 of these lately.

They cost about $40.00

ry%3D480

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I just saw a similar product from Lithonia (Acuity Brands), except its completely flat on top. It surface mounts with 2 screws to an octagon box.

I think the price is probably similar.

Fishspark

Occupation
Electrician
Nice, thanks for sharing - I wasnt aware of that one..
its really something all the LED and new products coming out isnt it
Exciting !

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have used them. They put out a lot of light. It is a tight fit in a 3/0 box . Bracket is funky.
The same light will work in a Can light. Comes with all the parts to do either.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Did you remove the screws on the fixture so the fixture can turn easily

for the Halo . You throw away the two screws that hold the fixture from turning. There is this funky bracket that installs on the 3/0 or 4/0 box. Then you have to align the two tabs and rotate the fixure to click in. The first one took a while.
The box needs room for the driver.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
for the Halo . You throw away the two screws that hold the fixture from turning. There is this funky bracket that installs on the 3/0 or 4/0 box. Then you have to align the two tabs and rotate the fixure to click in. The first one took a while.
The box needs room for the driver.

My guys complained about that also but they left those screws in which made it really hard. Yeah you would not want more than 2 wires in that box

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My guys complained about that also but they left those screws in which made it really hard. Yeah you would not want more than 2 wires in that box

They left the screws in!! How the heck can you install it that way?

I know we don't like reading instructions but..........

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It is actually just a round head screw head that you have to overcome. You can turn it with the screws in but it is hard

You need to take out the screws in order to mount the bracket with the driver. No other way.
The only purpose these screws serve is to hold the system together if installed in a recessed light.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I just saw a similar product from Lithonia (Acuity Brands), except its completely flat on top. It surface mounts with 2 screws to an octagon box.

I think the price is probably similar.

I would not like the screws showing

The screws were hidden. I don't remember exactly how it worked - I think a mounting plate screwed onto the Jbox, and then the fixture covered the plate by twisting it to lock it on.

Another rep. just brought in the halo one today. They are very similar. Funny how two different companies come up with almost the exact same product at the same time.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The screws were hidden. I don't remember exactly how it worked - I think a mounting plate screwed onto the Jbox, and then the fixture covered the plate by twisting it to lock it on.

Another rep. just brought in the halo one today. They are very similar. Funny how two different companies come up with almost the exact same product at the same time.

there's another similar one, fits in a 4SD box without a ring... home depot started selling them
a year ago, and they are dimmable, and work well.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You need to take out the screws in order to mount the bracket with the driver. No other way.
The only purpose these screws serve is to hold the system together if installed in a recessed light.

Nope. You can turn the bracket with the screws in-- I saw them do it at the supply company. I realize why the screws are there but my guys didn't. Today he put in another one and smiled at how much easier it was without the screws in-- DOH. We all got a laugh.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Ok so how do you screw the bracket to the box without removing it from the fixtures ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ok so how do you screw the bracket to the box without removing it from the fixtures ?

Of course the bracket gets removed but the screws don't have to be removed to get the bracket off. It certainly makes it easier without the screws. I thought you were saying you have to take out the screws-- that is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.