Calculating Demand for Four Wire Delta Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHarb

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the maximum possible demand through a 9S meter served by a four-wire delta bank. I know the meter is capable of a maximum 20 amps per phase. If we assume there are 20 amps per phase and we have a unity power factor (cos (theta) = 1), which of the 3 voltages should we use in the power calculation? Below is a diagram showing the four-wire delta bank and the voltages.

Four Wire Delta.JPG

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
The maximum permitted through the each transformer phase winding is 20/sqrt(3).If the receiver is
three-phase rated it is not important where the neutral is. The permissible apparent power will be:
S=sqrt(3)*240*20=8.313 kVA.
If you have only single-phase consumers then you have to limit the current to the maximum permitted
through the transformer windings. A part of winding AC serves both A-N and B-N circuit [the C-N and other part of B-N circuit].
Let's take both IA-N and IB-N current through A-N part of transformer winding. If p.f.=1 for all phases then the current will be in phase with the voltage. Then IB-N will be 90 dgr. lagging IA-N so the common current module will be sqrt*(IA_N^2 +IB-N^2/4) and should be not more than 20/sqrt(3).
If, at the end, IA_N=IB-N then the total maximum current flowing through A-N will be sqrt (IA-N^2+IA-N^2/4) =IA-N*sqrt (1.25) =20/sqrt (3) IA-N=IC-N=IB-N=10.328 A.
You may change this pattern as you wish but you have to keep the common current at 20/sqrt(3) level [or less].

Julius Right

Occupation
Sorry, I forgot you question .Then you have to multiply each circuit supply voltage by the current:
S=2*120*10.328+208*10.328=4.627 kVA:weeping:

AHarb

Sorry, I forgot you question .Then you have to multiply each circuit supply voltage by the current:
S=2*120*10.328+208*10.328=4.627 kVA:weeping:

Thanks for the reply and the help. Where are you getting that the maximum permitted through each transformer phase winding is 20/sqrt(3)? I'm confused how you came up with that. Are you somehow working off the fact that the line to line voltage is the same for all 3 phases (240 V)?

I was thinking about this over the weekend and can't we just substitute the line to line (VLL) voltage in the P = 3*(VLN*IL) equation? That would then give us P = ((VLL*20)/sqrt(3))*3. Since we know VLL is 240V then we come up with P = ((240*20)/sqrt(3))*3 = 8.31 kVA. Is that incorrect?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Remember that the individual line current will be the vector sum of the line-to-line currents, which is one of the places the square root of three comes into the picture.
For the transformer, the currents in the windings are what is important. For a delta wound transformer, that will be the line to line current, for a wye wound secondary, that will be the line to neutral current.
Make sure you use the current value that corresponds to the voltage value. :)

Tapatalk!

Julius Right

Occupation
Thank you, GoldDigger.The attached sketch could enlighten more. Delta Transformer Neutral in the winding  middle.jpg

AHarb

Thank you, GoldDigger.The attached sketch could enlighten more. View attachment 9854

I'm still not getting where the sqrt(3) comes in to the equation. The drawing helps and I understand the IA = IAB - IAC, but then I don't see what you're plugging in to introduce the sqrt(3). Sorry if this is a dumb question. It's been a while since I've used vector math so it may be something with vectors that I've forgotten.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In a 60 degree right triangle the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse (the sine of the angle) is (sqrt3)/2.
That gives you the ratio of the length of the vectors in the diagram.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.