Generator transfer switch location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

I have a customer that has an apartment builiding. he wants a generator hook up. The generator would be outside. The service with all the apartment and common areas main breakers are on the basement . he has a small office in the first floor and there is a subpanel there; He would like to have the transfer switch there next to the subpanel on the first floor. Is there any restriccion on the transfer switch location?

Shanky

Shanky

Shanky

I have installed several Auto Switchs in similar situations without any inspection issues. I install a disconnect for the gen feed adjacent to Auto switch, and go overboard with my labeling at service entrance to show gen location for emergency personnel and especially at MDP Breaker feeding office panel to ensure it's clear neutral/grounds not to be removed due to alternate power source in use, remote from electrical room.

mtnelectrical

I just spoke to city inspector and he said that it can not be done. It needs to be installed next to the service disconnect. Of course I just accept his statemente because I am not very familiar with this insatallation but now I'm doing my homework and I can not find nothing on article 445 or 702 that restricts the location of the transfer switch. Is it any other info I'm missing?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It will depend on whether the TS is installed after a service disconnect or is acting as service equipment.
Running unprotected conductors to or from the TS to outside panel could be a violation.
If there are local rules about the location of a disconnect for fire responder purposes, they may also prohibit the installation.

Tapatalk!

mtnelectrical

This is just a portable gen installation for 2 circuits in an office located on first floor (building managmnet office) and there is a subpanel in the office where these 2 circuits are.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since you have an overcurrent device ahead of it, there should be no grouping requirement unless it is by local ordinance. Perhaps he does not understand it is not being used as a service disconnect.

Sharpie

Would it make any difference if you installed an interlock switch in the sub-panel (instead of a transfer switch)? That also gives you the ability to back-feed a small breaker, thus giving you a little more protection.

Just a thought.

Sharpie

Would it make any difference if you installed an interlock switch in the sub-panel (instead of a transfer switch)? That also gives you the ability to back-feed a small breaker, thus giving you a little more protection.

Just a thought.

Sharpie

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.