Non Fused Service Entrance Rated Manual Transfer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently looked at an installation that has a manual non fused transfer switch that is being used a service entrance equipment. I looked through the code and I cannot find and installation that allows this. I was under the impression that to use the transfer switch as service entrance equipment it would have to have over current protection. This installation supplies a domestic water pumping station we are proposing to replace the existing ancient MCC on. I am certain if I am to replace the MCC the inspector will not allow me to reconnect to this existing non fused switch. Am I wrong or is there language in NEC that allows this?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Three items you might investigate.
1. 230.91 allows the overcurrent protection to be integral with OR immediately adjacent to the disconnect
2. If I am not mistaken some double throw safety switches are service rated and thus meet 230.70(C) (I believe they have a center off position)
2. Non-fuse safety switches are normally have a 10k AIC rating which may have a bearing.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
1. 230.91 allows the overcurrent protection to be integral with OR immediately adjacent to

Agreed. if your MCC has a main and is right beside it and/OR if the MCC has 6 or less overcurrent devices in it. And is right beside it. Not sure about the 6 throws of the hand rule being as it is an MCC.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
They are 10kA.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...ches/DoubleThrow/GeneralDuty/index.htm#tabs-2

Page 28 of the consulting engineers guide.
"...For applications that require a UL listed short-circuit rating
of greater than 10,000 rms symmetrical amperes, an
Eaton non-fusible switch must be properly protected by
the appropriate class and size fusing noted. Otherwise, this
non-fusible switch must be replaced with an Eaton fusible
switch that uses the appropriate fusing required...."

Status
Not open for further replies.