A little help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
We are currently working at the local zoo. This particular project includes circulation pumps, and heat exchangers, for several above ground pools to help rehab sea turltes. My question : (We are currently on the 2008 NEC.) Art 680.26 (4) has me baffled. We have 3 circulation pumps, and 3 heat exchangers servicing these pools. Do I need a seperate #8 solid to ground these units from the equipotential grid? Does this equipment require GFI protection? Even though they are turtles, and not people swimming in the tanks, Im pretty sure GFI protection on the at least the pumps would be required. Im just a bit confused, Any help would be appreciated!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Will people be approaching or entering the pool for maintenance or other reasons?
If so that may not change the NEC classification, but it could provide motivation for management of touch and step potentials.

Tapatalk!

mike1061

I'm no expert. I just wanted to chime in.
How I look at it is, they are still pools and have to be treated as pools. Not for the turtles but the people who clean and service the area.
I would think everything has to be boned together with #8 and GFCI protected.
I'll keep checking back to see if I'm wrong.
Thanks
Mike

kwired

Electron manager
I'm no expert. I just wanted to chime in.
How I look at it is, they are still pools and have to be treated as pools. Not for the turtles but the people who clean and service the area.
I would think everything has to be boned together with #8 and GFCI protected.
I'll keep checking back to see if I'm wrong.
Thanks
Mike
Maybe.

What about the people that have to clean and service waste water "pools", are those pools an art 680 swimming pool?

From definitions in 680.2:

Pool. Manufactured or field-constructed equipment designed to contain water on a permanent or semipermanent basis and used for swimming, wading, immersion, or therapeutic purposes.

I don't think art 680 applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.