Addition to Existing Branch Circuit in Single Family Dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
In my area the 2008 is still the adopted Code. I am doing a small addition on a bedroom at my house. The house was built in 2003 and AFCI was not required. Going to be adding a couple outlets to be code compliant on addition, was thinking I would go ahead and throw an AFCI breaker on that circuit that I'm adding on to since the 2008 Code required them.

Curious as to people's thoughts as to whether it is REQUIRED to add the AFCI or just a feel good for the inspector.

Also, for a couple outlets on an existing branch circuit, per 220.16(A)(2), no type of calc should be required per 220.14(J)(1).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think that since you are altering the circuit, you need to bring that circuit up to current code. So I would say that the AFCI breaker is a requirement, not just a feel good idea. I agree that you don't need to do a calculation. But I think you should anyway. Specifically, you should find out what outlets are presently served by the circuit you intend to use. How those existing outlets are used and how the new outlets will be used should tell you whether they can share a circuit without undue risk of tripping the breaker.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Based on the fact that you are not installing a new branch circuit and the fact that the 2014 code specifically requires AFCI protection for circuit extensions, relocations and receptacles, I think you can make a case the the AFCI protection is not required under the 2011 code.

I think the code is going down a slippery path when they put specific rules that apply to extensions, replacements and relocations. The very fact that they choose to include these rules, strongly implies that without these rules you are not required to provide same protection that is required for a new branch circuit.

However your inspector may not see it this way. Many require the same protection as what is required for a new branch circuit no matter what you are doing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Based on the fact that you are not installing a new branch circuit and the fact that the 2014 code specifically requires AFCI protection for circuit extensions, relocations and receptacles, I think you can make a case the the AFCI protection is not required under the 2011 code.

I think the code is going down a slippery path when they put specific rules that apply to extensions, replacements and relocations. The very fact that they choose to include these rules, strongly implies that without these rules you are not required to provide same protection that is required for a new branch circuit.

However your inspector may not see it this way. Many require the same protection as what is required for a new branch circuit no matter what you are doing.

I agree if coverage for an extension was already required under earlier versions of the NEC then the change for 2014 would not be needed.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
NJ uses what's called the rehab code. IIRC, in this case if AFCI was not required when the circuit was first insalled, any extension of the circuit does not force the installation of the AFCI breaker. If you were to add a new circuit to the area, then the new circuit would have to be AFCI (in NJ).

Status
Not open for further replies.