Halos New Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Dennis.

Note that there's a 90 CRI version, as SLD606930, which should make a noticeable difference in light quality, especially if you're installing this in living spaces. (Or if you're both in the shower and extra fussy.)

You'll find these easier to search up if you look for the full P/N, SLD606830WH or SLD606930WH. Cooper refers to it as the SLD6.

It's touted on Cooper's website as:

• Wet location listed for showers and protected ceilings
  • Damp location listed for indoor ceiling or wall mounting
So apparently Cooper is excluding outdoor use, contrary to the usual damp/wet definitions. For example on page 25 of this, from UL: http://www.ul.com/global/documents/.../newsletters/LuminairesMG_April2006_Final.pdf

Otherwise this would've been perfect for under a low-headroom porch, say.

Luketrician

pretty neat little lights..

Has that funky lookin "spider" bracket for retrofitting existing can lights..

Using a 4" round box you don't even need the bracket, and the mounting screws get concieled by the snap on lens :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks, Dennis.

Note that there's a 90 CRI version, as SLD606930, which should make a noticeable difference in light quality, especially if you're installing this in living spaces. (Or if you're both in the shower and extra fussy.)

You'll find these easier to search up if you look for the full P/N, SLD606830WH or SLD606930WH. Cooper refers to it as the SLD6.

It's touted on Cooper's website as:

So apparently Cooper is excluding outdoor use, contrary to the usual damp/wet definitions. For example on page 25 of this, from UL: http://www.ul.com/global/documents/.../newsletters/LuminairesMG_April2006_Final.pdf

Otherwise this would've been perfect for under a low-headroom porch, say.

I am not sure I see it that way. If it is listed for wet location then one would assume it is listed for outdoor as well. Where does it exclude outdoor installs?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I could see a theoretical reason that the manufacturer would consider it OK for the face of the equipment to be in a wet area as long as the back side was in a dry conditioned space.
Allowing outdoor use leaves them open to uncontrolled conditions on the back side, which you would not have in a porch with attic space above but could run into with unrestricted "outdoor" use.
Also they may not want it used at freezing temperatures or other outdoor conditions.
NEC does not appear to recognize those subtleties, so the difference would be in complying with the instructions for the listed equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I could see a theoretical reason that the manufacturer would consider it OK for the face of the equipment to be in a wet area as long as the back side was in a dry conditioned space.
Allowing outdoor use leaves them open to uncontrolled conditions on the back side, which you would not have in a porch with attic space above but could run into with unrestricted "outdoor" use.
Also they may not want it used at freezing temperatures or other outdoor conditions.
NEC does not appear to recognize those subtleties, so the difference would be in complying with the instructions for the listed equipment.

I agree and it seems obvious that the product would need a rough of some sought over it or some large flat area where the light can sit against. I have not read the installation instruction but IMO if it is rated for wet location then it is good for outdoors unless the instructions specifically say it's a no go install there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is what it states

I normally would see wet location as outdoors if the ceiling is protected- canopied, etc. however, It is interesting that damp location is rated for indoors.. Makes me think this is not listed for outdoor use.

So this was a simple matter of a careless website. I feel better that even Dennis was misled:

Makes me think this is not listed for outdoor use.

And am grateful that he got them to clarify:

I sent an email to Eaton [...] and they said that the unit is listed for outdoors

Now I see that their spec sheet spells it out:
? cULus Listed ceiling and wall
? cULus Damp Location listed ceiling and wall
? cULus Wet Location Listed protected ceiling only (shower rated)

Indeed, we don't know of a UL listing that would allow showers, but not protected outdoor ceilings (like Sierra's porch). Um, do we?

(Thanks again, Dennis, for this and for your many teachings.)

Status
Not open for further replies.