"When did they change that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I couldn?t help but smile when I saw sparky=t (Bill?s) signature "when did they change that?"

(so often the answer is akin to ?The 1993 Code" )

Without reading his profile I knew the word ?inspector or enforcement? would be involved.
His words join ?I didn?t have one on the van? and ?(inspector xxx) never makes us do that? as weekly testimonials that make us inspectors shake our head.

Some days you just smile.

480sparky

It amazes me how many in the field never bother to open a codebook, and even more amazing is how many don't even own one.

Just last year, I ran across someone who still was wiring houses to the GFCI-within-6'-of-the-kitchen-sink rule.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Oh yeah and "you're the only one calling that" or "We just did a big job over in ..... and they didn't make us do that" and my favorite "I'll never work in this town again", good because we didn't want you back anyway.:D

Oh wait and I forgot, "where do you guys come up with this stuff?"

mgookin

Oh yeah and "you're the only one calling that" or "We just did a big job over in ..... and they didn't make us do that" and my favorite "I'll never work in this town again", good because we didn't want you back anyway.:D

Oh wait and I forgot, "where do you guys come up with this stuff?"

You forgot "The Mayor said I can"

Wilg

Another common reply that gets me..."well we just want to do it how ever YOU want it done...."

How I want it done???? I usually tell them somewhere near the Code minimum will be fine.:D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You forgot "The Mayor said I can"
Funny I just had lunch with the Mayor this afternoon and he didn't mention anything about that. But we also have an understanding, I don't tell him how to run the city and he doesn't tell me how to do electrical inspections.

Another common reply that gets me..."well we just want to do it how ever YOU want it done...."

How I want it done???? I usually tell them somewhere near the Code minimum will be fine.:D
Oh yeah, that's a good one. "Just tell me what you want."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The other side is when you ask the inspector for an article to back his claim and they say "That's the way we do it around here". Boy do I hate that response. Totally unprofessional.

If I were an inspector and someone asked me what do you want me to do, just tell me , I think I would go off on them. I want what the code wants dude.

I do have a lot of respect for most inspectors especially the poor souls that have to wear 4 or 5 hats. My hat goes off to them.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For a while, it seemed like my boss was asking me, "When did they change that?" every other week (he kept wanting to increase the size of conductors for voltage drop without also increasing the size of the EGC). He still uses his 1987 Code book for everything, but now he at least asks me if the rule has changed in the latest Code before acting.

Oh yeah, that's a good one. "Just tell me what you want."
I tend to take that as a sign of a Contractor who's had to deal with one too many Inspectors who were faaaaar below your level of expertise and professionalism. He wants to get the job signed off and collect his check, and he has no way of knowing if you're going to show up for an inspection and demand he change something, so he's trying to head off that possibility early. I kind of like to see a Contractor proactively trying to make sure the Inspector will approve of his installation. It saves time and money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.