Follow up to PNS free USB charging receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

A while back Pass & Seymour was offering free USB receptacles via the internet. I got one at the time and used it in my home office. Sadly, it quit working about five months later so I figured I'd ask here to see how others have fared with it or with other brands you may have installed in the meantime. I've installed a few from Hubbell and so far have not had any callbacks.

cadpoint

What's the deal? Let's QA it!

Did you solo install it, was it a blue or metal box? What was it besides if in a dual box?

Did you use the life out of it?

Was it above the 50% rating on appliance rating, lol?

What circuit was it on? What else was on this circuit?

You try another cord? I seem to go through them like butter?

Humor me :ashamed1:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It took me a few months to get a round tuit, but I installed it in the receptacle closest to the bed, and it is working great to charge two phones at once.
Our cat us very frustrated that he cannot knock the wall wart out and play with it anymore.
And finally, I can now plug in the reading light and charge two phones from what had been a duplex receptacle at the same time.

Tapatalk!

PetrosA

What's the deal? Let's QA it!

Did you solo install it, was it a blue or metal box? What was it besides if in a dual box?

Did you use the life out of it?

Was it above the 50% rating on appliance rating, lol?

What circuit was it on? What else was on this circuit?

You try another cord? I seem to go through them like butter?

Humor me :ashamed1:

It was a fiberglass box.

I don't think I used the life out of it - I only used it to charge my phone. Maybe 50-75 times?

The 120V outlet still worked. I don't know what the draw of my phone is, but I assume the charger port would limit the draw on its own.

It was on the "upstairs" circuit. The "upstairs" was on with it ;)

I tried a few cords. They all work with my computer for charging the phone, so I'm pretty sure it was the charger.

Ragin Cajun

Mine still works. I have it in an outlet box with a power cord pluged into a power strip. Shouldn'd make any difference, though. Love them power strips! :) You never can have enough outlets!!!

Perhaps you have the one in a million? Everything fails at some point, some sooner than others.

They sure ain't cheap at the box stores.

RC

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Good Morning. The day that I received mine, I installed it in my kitchen for the counter. I have it GFCI protected. They gave me a light almond which matched my other receptacles. I use it every day and it has been working great.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I missed out on the freebie so I bought a Leviton type from big orange. Been using it daily for almost a year charging one or two devices at a time and it's still going.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Mine works great. Used every day for Kindles, phones, and Blackberrys etc. Of course there is always some device that insists on their own charger, I think ours is a blue tooth headset from Philips.

Status
Not open for further replies.