Ballpark cost for 13.2 primary voltage equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

Hi,
We're looking at getting primary metered at a new project in New York. I am trying to determine the ballpark added cost for the extra equipment. I have the transformer cost but RSMeans doesn't have much information for 13.2kV gear. For our 3 phase feed we'll need:
load break switch with operating shaft & handle
lightning arrestor
fused cutouts
3 CTs, 3 PTs
and a couple poles for the overhead feed.

Anyone have numbers (including labor) to throw at this type of install?

mkgrady

Hi,
We're looking at getting primary metered at a new project in New York. I am trying to determine the ballpark added cost for the extra equipment. I have the transformer cost but RSMeans doesn't have much information for 13.2kV gear. For our 3 phase feed we'll need:
load break switch with operating shaft & handle
lightning arrestor
fused cutouts
3 CTs, 3 PTs
and a couple poles for the overhead feed.

Anyone have numbers (including labor) to throw at this type of install?

I suggest you contact an overhead line construction contractor in the area of the job. Not a lot of overhead line distribution discussions take place here. Not much info to go on but I would wild guess it at $15,000

mivey

$10k-$12k depending on area would cover it as part of a contract job, at least for utility pricing. You may find retail pricing much higher, probably at least double, especially for a small job like that.

lielec11

$10k-$12k depending on area would cover it as part of a contract job, at least for utility pricing. You may find retail pricing much higher, probably at least double, especially for a small job like that.

What type of load break switch are we talking about? Pole mounted? Pad mounted? I believe the cost would be much great than $15k, even without labor.

I would say those guestimates are pretty good. If it's pad mounted, which I suspect it isn't if you need a load break, then it could be double, if not triple. I might even guess closes to 20k and you will need to keep someone on retainer if something happens on your side of the metering.

Load breaks usually go for around $2k, 40' poles are around 1k a piece(maybe a little cheaper), cut-outs and LA's around $200 a peice. The metering should be provided by the utility probably for a fee. Don't forget cross-arms, insulators, pins for the insulators, johnny balls and brackets for a neutral, and down ground wire/ground rods.

I hope your just getting estimates before you start getting real estimates from a contractor because the work is hard and the supplier will not be happy with just and random group of guys who think they can do the work building it.

greenspark1

@JoeTroubleShoot, Yes this is just very preliminary pricing. And yes all the equipment will be up on poles. Thanks for your breakdown and estimate.

It definitely helps to have these ballpark numbers. I WAGed about $100k using a commercial contractor and it doesn't sound like it'll should be much more than $50k.

mivey

What type of load break switch are we talking about? Pole mounted? Pad mounted? I believe the cost would be much great than $15k, even without labor.
Pole mounted. About $2-$2.5k installed depending on location (utility contracting bid pricing as part of a larger construction job).

mivey

Pole mounted. About $2-$2.5k installed depending on location (utility contracting bid pricing as part of a larger construction job).
Last project used $4k estimate, bid came in at less than 1/2 that (suburban south east).

May be 2-3X that in parts of New York. Still way below $15k+labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.