Motorized windows in pool area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpotOn

Hello, I am wiring an indoor pool in Connecticut. Believe it or not we are still on the 2005 nec until march 3rd 2014. The pool has aluminum windows with motorized windows. The motors are located 7' above the waterline and there is a 1 foot wide bluestone "path" between the pool and the windows. The inspector is treating the entire window as the motor and says we can't have them without a modification from the state. The windows are all bonded with #8 solid to the equipotential plane and the motors will be gfi protected. I can't find where it states I can't have these within 5 feet of the pool. I see680.21 680.22 but they pertain to window motors. What am I missing?

david

680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment. (E) Other Outlets. Other outlets shall be not less than 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool. Measurements shall be determined in accordance with 680.22(A)(5).
FPN: Other outlets may include, but are not limited to, remote-control, signaling, fire alarm, and communications circuits.

Sounds like your motors for the windows falls under the requirements for other outlets

SpotOn

Thanks for the reply. If I can get the whips from the motors to an outside weatherproof junction box, the "outlet" will be on the other side of a permanent barrier and isn't the motor considered utilization equipment not an outlet?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You may be able to convince the inspector of that.
I would buy it.
Would he still insist on the 5' distance if it is on the other side of the wall? :)

Tapatalk!

SpotOn

In the 2011 code I'm reading art 680.22(a)5 helps me there, they will be piercing a wall or other effective barrier. :) I will let you know what he says tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.