Grounding ring for stray current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

Hello,
A fellow engineer designed a small building containing natural gas with a grounding ring encircling the site. He explained that this was to intercept any stray ground currents that could come into the site and cause a spark or shock potential. I have never heard of this before. I of course want proper grounding but the NEC doesn't require a full ring circling the site. Can anyone explain this theory? Thanks!

dereckbc

Staff member
Actually there is a lot of truth to it. In simple terms he is building a very simple current shunt around the building giving or a low impedance path around the building for current to follow and flow through. Ever seen utility guys working 750 KV hot utility lines. They actually crawl out on the lines or work from a helicopter. They are wearing a Chain Nail suit made from silver. If they were to somehow become grounded, the suit shunts the current around their body. Some call it a Faraday Shield.

I do a bit of mission work in India and Africa with my church. I have been to a few villages where lightning was constantly killing and injuring the people in the villages. Lighting would strike nearby trees and discharge through the ground and the step potential was high enough to kill and injure villagers in their grass huts. I did some research many years ago when I first heard about it and found a real cheap easy solution. All we did was obtain scrap barb wire, fence wire, telephone wire, or whatever wire we could source locally dirt cheap or free in most circumstances.

We dug a shallow trench around each grass hut or structure and made a ground ring out of whatever wire we could get our hands on. Since doing that no villagers have been harmed in their huts when lightning strikes. Still some get injured or killed when caught outside the home, but none inside a protected shelter.

OK now I will put on my Engineers hat. If this were me building a facility from the ground up, I would not use a ground ring in a explosive facility. I would use what the military uses in the dessert ammo bunkers, or any bunbker any where. During WW-II Herbert Ufer figured out the best way to stop static and stray current very effectively. Telephone offices, radio towers, data centers all use it. Install a UFER ground in the concrete foundation. Very similar to the NEC Concrete Encased Electrode, just beefed up. You can bury a copper mine around a building and not even come close to an earth impedance of a UFER ground. Even in the dry dessert you can easily achieve 1 Ohm or less earth impedance. Never ever any worries about a ground ring eroding and dissolving.

If I were to use a ring I would use cathodic protection like all oil pipe lines and airports do. It is just too important to bury and forget it.

Last edited:

greenspark1

dereckbc- thanks for the helpful reply! Ufer grounds are definitely a great idea and have a proven track record. There is a good little article on them here.

We are using making a Ufer ground via the rebar in the concrete foundation. There is enough rebar that it should easily exceed the NEC 20' minimum length for concrete encased electrode (250.52(A)(3)). Additionally we are tying this electrode into a ground ring around the site. As devil's advocate, this ring seems pretty redundant and probably won't significantly reduce the impedance to ground. It sounds like it will provide some protection during lightning events. Besides lightning, I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where the ground ring would provide much benefit. Also, any reason the ground ring needs to completely encircle the building, what about a horseshoe shape?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The reason for completely encircling the building, IMHO, is that it insures that there will be step and touch control at all possible entry or exit points of the building. Including any added later.
The completeness of the ring may not have a significant effect on the impedance to ground of the ring electrode system

Tapatalk!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Outside of pools, maybe not likely, but as shown in the latest video Mike posted on ground rods, you can have touch potential issues even with 120V if there are wiring problems and the sphere of influence of the ground electrode is small.

Tapatalk!

greenspark1

Outside of pools, maybe not likely, but as shown in the latest video Mike posted on ground rods, you can have touch potential issues even with 120V if there are wiring problems and the sphere of influence of the ground electrode is small.

Tapatalk!

What/where is this video you reference?

Thanks for the good ideas/comments.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
What/where is this video you reference?

Thanks for the good ideas/comments.
Linked from this thread.
I believe that you can also access a bunch of free videos by going through Mikes main website.
By looking at posts by moderator "Mike Holt" you can also get a lot of useful links inside the Forum.
One of them which is particularly nice is the one on changes to NEC 2014 affecting Grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.