Interior hall light with only one switch located in garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

68Malibu383

I inspected a house yesterday built in 2003 and there was a short hall (about 8') between the master bedroom and garage. A light was located in the hall. The only switch was located in the garage. Is a switch not required inside of the home for this light?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The code does not care where the switch is located. Look at 210.70. It states one lighting controlled outlet must be in every habitable room not the switch itself.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Dennis. But I would suggest putting a note in your report, something along the lines of, "Having the only switch for the hall light in the garage is not a code violation, but it creates an inconvenient situation. Consideration should be given to installing a second switch, in a 3-way arrangement, in the hallway." That way, you get credit for being thorough, and the homeowner is not pressured into fixing a situation that does not actually require fixing.

mgookin

Good question. It would be poor workmanship by the designer rather than the installer if they were not the same person.

Tapatalk!

Some places there is no designer; you don't even need plans to build single family. How sad.

And there's still plenty of places with no building dept also.

Status
Not open for further replies.