Sub Zero Service Entrance Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
After fighting with three 2/0 THHN CU service entrance conductors and a 2" LB in temperatures below zero, I sure wish there was a more flexible choice for us to get these wires into the panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From Southwire's Installation and Application guide for 600V conductors.
Cold Weather Concerns ? Low temperatures can be a concern when installing conductors. Conductors should be handled more carefully and pulled more slowly during cold weather. If conductors must be installed during cold weather, approaching freezing, it is important to make sure the core temperature of the reel is sufficiently warm to prevent damaging the insulation system. The conductor should be kept in heated storage for at least 24 hours prior to installation to enable the conductor to warm up throughout the reel. Conductors should not be installed at ambient temperatures lower than:
Table 9 ? Minimum Conductor Installation Temperatures
Insulation or Jacket
Type THHN/THWN, THW (PVC) 14?F
Type MV-105 (EPR) -40?F
Types XHHW, USE, RHH, and RHW (XLPE) -40?F

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As per Don's reference I would choose XHHW. If had 5' sections of the nylon jacket on THHN/THWN break off in sub 20? weather when bending.

Is a 2" LB rated for #2/0?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
After fighting with three 2/0 THHN CU service entrance conductors and a 2" LB in temperatures below zero, I sure wish there was a more flexible choice for us to get these wires into the panel.

I actually split the insulation right to the copper trying to get a 2/0 in an LB one winter. It was close to zero out (like it is right now). The insulation became very brittle around 10 degrees.

We had to put up a tent made of plastic and heat it with a salamander heater to get the conductors in place. This was new const. so there was no heat inside or out.

That job sucked. It was YEARS ago and I still remember how cold we were.

kwired

Electron manager
XHHW still gets harder to bend when it is cold, but is not as subject to cracking the insulation when it is bent either.

You need some heat, If short conductors, say from a meter socket to an adjacent service disconnect, just bringing warm conductors out from the truck cab and getting them in quickly may be all that is needed, but other cases may require somehow getting temporary heat for the vicinity.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Some time ago, there was a company called Preferred Fitting Solutions that made an EZ-LB. It was nice beacuse 2/3 of the body was removed at the time of the wire pull thus eliminating a lot of the difficulty with the bending radius. I don't believe they are around anymore unfortunately.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I guess you could get it part way through the LB and strip out both ends and connect it to a continuous duty welder flowing current equal to the 90?C rating of the conductor.....:happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.