Wholesale wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

Depends on what your quantity would be. You may be able to negotiate directly with a rep. but you would be talking big quantities. Millions of feet at a time. if you only need a couple of hundred thousand feet of #10 or 12 or romex your going to need to go through your local supply shop. change that to 4/0 copper or larger than you may be able to buy direct but still through a rep.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are purchasing enough quantity they will have an interest in selling to you, but that may also mean they want to see purchases over time and not just a one time project.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Does anybody buy wire wholesale? Do you know of any suppliers that sell direct?

We've bought direct from Olympic Wire; tiny quantities compared to a supply house. They don't seem to mind selling to the end user. I'm guessing my cost per foot would go way down if I ordered 100,000 feet instead of 1,000.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
We've bought direct from Olympic Wire; tiny quantities compared to a supply house. They don't seem to mind selling to the end user. I'm guessing my cost per foot would go way down if I ordered 100,000 feet instead of 1,000.
It might with the supply house too. Especially if it is shipped directly to you and they don't even handle it, easy money for nothing but a little paperwork on their end.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
for the more common stuff you won't find better prices than at the big box stores.

if they have it, it is less expensive there than at the supply house, usually by enough to make it worthwhile. they don't deliver so that is an issue though.

we get most of our smaller wire from a supply house under a special purchasing agreement and most of our larger wire from Internet sources. it is often quicker to get that way too. we do not use large quantities of bigger wire. a few hundred feet of 1/0 is not an unusual order.

kwired

Electron manager
for the more common stuff you won't find better prices than at the big box stores.

if they have it, it is less expensive there than at the supply house, usually by enough to make it worthwhile. they don't deliver so that is an issue though.

we get most of our smaller wire from a supply house under a special purchasing agreement and most of our larger wire from Internet sources. it is often quicker to get that way too. we do not use large quantities of bigger wire. a few hundred feet of 1/0 is not an unusual order.

I've found it depends on when price of copper changes and when they made last purchases. Most of time big box store will be lower for common sizes/types, but sometimes you can catch a better deal at the supply house if your timing is just right and the price just went down and they received/ordered new stock at just the right time and the big box did not have new enough stock.

Rewire

Last year HD offered wire at a good discount but you needed a pallet so we called another EC and asked if they wanted to buy part of it. If they do it again I will definitely be calling other ECs to split the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.