Split finger tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshea

Cold?

Cold?

Since we're talking cold---today it's 12F. Yesterday morning it was -4F.
Wind chills tonight -20 to -35. :eek:

Wisconsin!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Since we're talking cold---today it's 12F. Yesterday morning it was -4F.
Wind chills tonight -20 to -35. :eek:

Wisconsin!
You must be in southern Wisconsin.:D

Seriously, 50 years up here and I have never seen any single 'hand cream' be a clear favorite for more than a few years. They are like diets - some work for some people, others don't. The big thing is to be consistent and start applying before the cracking begins.

Now, for cracked lips give me Carmex.

rlcguy

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

My hands usually crack when I have to use gloves a lot after a period where I didn't have to. I like Aquaphor with a bandaid cover. Overnight will really soften up the area where the crack is.

jimC.

I have purchased Cornhuskers ointment at Supply Houses in Kansas and Nebraska back in the 90's. Worked well for me/us on the crew. Have always been stuck working the outside crews, wish I could find it here. Neutragena makes some good products, which is what I use now.

positivephil

I've been a satisfied newsletter subscriber for years. Its cold dry weather season again. I now find myself working outside in the cold cruel climate and can't find the post that recommended the electricians favorite cracked skin lotion. Please advise so I don't end up buying something that doesn't work very well. Thank you for any reply.

There are three things that work rather well...

1. Zim's Crack Cr?me - developed by a mason contractor, works best for me
2. O'keeff's Working Hands - green canister (about $5)
3. Acid mantle - used by surgeons to restore ph balance due to excessive hand washing

Both are available at a local stores pharmacy or big box stores. The acid mantle is behind the counter at the pharmacy but you don't need a script. Just ask the pharmacist.

kwired

Electron manager
Here we're using SPF 30, gonna be in the high 70's to low 80's this week.
And after the cold blast we had the past few days we thought today was nice - maybe reached about 35-40, but 70 to 80 is too much too fast, but hits us every year about mid April or early May.

Status
Not open for further replies.