Accelerated licensing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvue

I've been working for the federal government for 10 years now as an electrician at the journeyman level (former Navy, experience got me the job for the feds) and I've done everything from installing lights and receptacles to repairing and operating MG-Sets, switchboards, ATS', and other power generation and distribution equipment in accordance with NEC/NFPA/OSHA yada yada yada standards; however, I still don't know everything. As a resident of California, is there any way for me to go through an accelerated program to get my license or do I have to start from the bottom and spend another 3-5 years to get my license? I'd like some insight before I go and talk to a school counselor about my options.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I've been working for the federal government for 10 years now as an electrician at the journeyman level (former Navy, experience got me the job for the feds) and I've done everything from installing lights and receptacles to repairing and operating MG-Sets, switchboards, ATS', and other power generation and distribution equipment in accordance with NEC/NFPA/OSHA yada yada yada standards; however, I still don't know everything. As a resident of California, is there any way for me to go through an accelerated program to get my license or do I have to start from the bottom and spend another 3-5 years to get my license? I'd like some insight before I go and talk to a school counselor about my options.

While I'm not a California guy, I know many states would consider all or part of your experience to qualify to sit for the exam. Well have to hear from the CA folks for better info.

Electrogrunt

Hi nvue, you absolutely don't have to go through any extra time to apply to take the test. You have done a 4 year apprenticeship in the Navy, and have 10 years with the federal government. Get the application, and you made need papers from the Navy, but all you have to do is send in your paperwork with the fee, and you are set. Good luck.

kwired

Electron manager
Hi nvue, you absolutely don't have to go through any extra time to apply to take the test. You have done a 4 year apprenticeship in the Navy, and have 10 years with the federal government. Get the application, and you made need papers from the Navy, but all you have to do is send in your paperwork with the fee, and you are set. Good luck.
He may still need to take an exam before he has a license, unless he already has some equal certification to the license he is applying for it there is such a thing - then it kind of comes down to reciprocity regulations. All AHJ's generally want the fees in reciprocity cases even if you are not required to take an exam.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
I found that my Navy time--Electrician's Mate--same as OP it seems--Didn't count for much--I was given very little credit towards hours because "it is to narrow and USN Shipboard wiring is too different from civilian"--I got credit for theory and some actual hands on time but not much as I would have thought for 10 years experience.

Best bet is contact the electrical board or whomever reviews applications and talk it over with them

nvue

Thanks for all the information. I was an electricians mate 2nd class in the USN and I'm trying to get my journeyman license, if not, then an apprentice license is fine. I just need some sort of license so I can go to the oil rigs. I will call the state and see what they say and perhaps talk to the union.

kwired

Electron manager
I found that my Navy time--Electrician's Mate--same as OP it seems--Didn't count for much--I was given very little credit towards hours because "it is to narrow and USN Shipboard wiring is too different from civilian"--I got credit for theory and some actual hands on time but not much as I would have thought for 10 years experience.

Best bet is contact the electrical board or whomever reviews applications and talk it over with them

Is understandable, you probably were not designing anything other than some small scale instances, and were likely not doing completely new installations either, but rather maintenance and somewhat minor modifications to what is already there. Theory you learned is good no matter what you do, but installation methods and codes can probably vary quite a bit from ships to NEC applications.

You are probably well qualified to do wiring on other ships and maybe even aircraft compared to those of us who mostly only have experience with NEC applications though.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Is understandable, you probably were not designing anything other than some small scale instances, and were likely not doing completely new installations either, but rather maintenance and somewhat minor modifications to what is already there. Theory you learned is good no matter what you do, but installation methods and codes can probably vary quite a bit from ships to NEC applications.

You are probably well qualified to do wiring on other ships and maybe even aircraft compared to those of us who mostly only have experience with NEC applications though.

That is exactly, almost word for word the board used--Then after ten years and being up for Chief (E-7) I got out and put it to good use in the heavy industrial side of things

Oh boy do they--a lot of the stuff we did would not make NEC but then some did -- thinking back now through the years but it would have been old code

donutdoor

New User
Thanks for all the information. I was an electricians mate 2nd class in the USN and I'm trying to get my journeyman license, if not, then an apprentice license is fine. I just need some sort of license so I can go to the oil rigs. I will call the state and see what they say and perhaps talk to the union.
In CA you just need four years of verifiable field work to take the Certified Electrician's Exam (for a General Electrician, other classes such as residential have lower requirements). It is a four hour open book test. Just make sure you can navigate the code book. I have taught classes for Elec. Cert. Exams and if you have good reading skills and know how to use an index you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.