A/B SMC-FLEX inside Disconnect Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

factoryrat

The other day I was told to restart a 3 Phase, 480 volt, 150 HP pump motor that was not running. When I got to the Motor Starter location I observed a Red Fault indicator light was illuminated on the front of the Motor Disconnect Panel. I could not restart the motor with the panel mounted START PB. I turned off the panel disconnect and opened the Panel door and discovered an A/B SMC-FLEX Soft Starter inside. I reenergized the disconnect switch with the Panel door open so I could see the SMC-FLEX Display. I was able to restart the pump motor and watched the start-up current climb up to approximately 460 amps before tripping the Soft Starter O/L and giving me an O/L FAULT on the SMC-FLEX Display.

We cleared the plugged pump problem and finally got the motor driven pump running again.

My question is this: Is this a common practice to put a Soft Starter inside an enclosure like this? You cannot see the SMC-Flex Display with the panel door closed. Also you can?t change or look at the parameters without having the Disconnect/Starter Panel door open. I have a Safety Tag posted on the Panel door telling me this is a dangerous area when the Disconnect/Starter Panel door is open.

The above mentioned Starter setup seems to me to be an unsafe setup. I would like opinions and comments on what you think. At our plant safety and safe practices are very important and my common sense tells me we could improve on this panel. I do not see any NEC violations ? do you? It just seems like it could be done better/safer but I do not see how at the moment.

I got a couple pictures of this setup I'd like to post too but can't figure out how as of now.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't have a problem with it.

It is not inherently unsafe.

I think you can get a remote HIM for the unit that can be mounted in the door, or a remote reset PB to clear the fault.

You could add a viewing window if you wanted to.

It was just an economic decision not to do so.

Last edited:

factoryrat

What PPE required?

What PPE required?

Generally speaking we have a policy of not opening a Starter/Disconnect Panel Door with power ON. We have the Safety Stickers: ?Arc Flash and Electric Shock Hazard Present. Appropriate Electrical PPE Required. Limited Approach Boundary = 3.5 feet. Restricted Approach Boundary = 1 foot. Prohibited Approach Boundary = 1 inch.?

If I want to adjust the parameters on the Soft Starter what PPE am I required to wear since I am actually touching the Starter inside the Energized Panel?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Generally speaking we have a policy of not opening a Starter/Disconnect Panel Door with power ON. We have the Safety Stickers: ?Arc Flash and Electric Shock Hazard Present. Appropriate Electrical PPE Required. Limited Approach Boundary = 3.5 feet. Restricted Approach Boundary = 1 foot. Prohibited Approach Boundary = 1 inch.?

If I want to adjust the parameters on the Soft Starter what PPE am I required to wear since I am actually touching the Starter inside the Energized Panel?

there should also be a sticker telling you what the incident energy is that will help you decide what level of PPE is required.

factoryrat

PPE

PPE

The Sticker says,
MINIMUM PPE REQUIREMENTS:
Natural Fiber (Cotton/Wool) Long Sleeve Shirt, Long Pants, Safety Glasses
Class 00 Insulating Gloves with Leather Protectors

So as long as I am wearing the above mentioned clothing and Safety Items I am legal to go into energized Panel?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The Sticker says,
MINIMUM PPE REQUIREMENTS:
Natural Fiber (Cotton/Wool) Long Sleeve Shirt, Long Pants, Safety Glasses
Class 00 Insulating Gloves with Leather Protectors

So as long as I am wearing the above mentioned clothing and Safety Items I am legal to go into energized Panel?

seems like someone decided what PPE is required and marked the enclosure accordingly.

factoryrat

Still want to post my photos. I think I figured it out.

I am sorry the SMC-Smart Display picture is sideways.

Attachments

• Closed Disconnect Pnl.jpg
    Closed Disconnect Pnl.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1
  • SMC-FLEX DISPLAY.jpg
    SMC-FLEX DISPLAY.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PPE Tag.jpg
    PPE Tag.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SMC-FLEX inside panel.jpg
    SMC-FLEX inside panel.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So to be clear, that is not a "disconnect with a soft starter inside", that is a soft starter control panel with a fused disconnect, a.k.a. a "Combination Starter".

Someone built this from scratch I think, because it looks to be a Square D disconnect, something that A-B would never use. So someone decided, in that design, NOT to put the display on the door. That may have been a conscious decision by the way, sometimes people think that is necessary to avoid having people mess with the programming. But if that's the case, you can put the display on the door and set it up to be locked out from changes unless you have a password. You might want to consider that option, it can be retrofitted at any time.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So someone decided, in that design, NOT to put the display on the door. That may have been a conscious decision by the way, sometimes people think that is necessary to avoid having people mess with the programming.

I have run across people who won't even buy a display for each drive. They buy one and move it from drive to drive if needed.

I want a comm option card installed and some place I can plug in without having to open the cabinet door.

I have gotten so if I quote a drive it has an ethernet card in it.

factoryrat

So to be clear, that is not a "disconnect with a soft starter inside", that is a soft starter control panel with a fused disconnect, a.k.a. a "Combination Starter".

Someone built this from scratch I think, because it looks to be a Square D disconnect, something that A-B would never use. So someone decided, in that design, NOT to put the display on the door. That may have been a conscious decision by the way, sometimes people think that is necessary to avoid having people mess with the programming. But if that's the case, you can put the display on the door and set it up to be locked out from changes unless you have a password. You might want to consider that option, it can be retrofitted at any time.

Thanks for the info Jraef and for clarification of proper description of equipment.

I am going to look at softstarter Display and Keypad when I go to work Monday, but I am wondering - Can you use the Display mounted on the soft starter or do you have to buy a separate unit (Display and Keypad) to mount on outside of disconnect panel?

I really do appreciate all the responses to this post. Thanks again.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the info Jraef and for clarification of proper description of equipment.

I am going to look at softstarter Display and Keypad when I go to work Monday, but I am wondering - Can you use the Display mounted on the soft starter or do you have to buy a separate unit (Display and Keypad) to mount on outside of disconnect panel?

I really do appreciate all the responses to this post. Thanks again.

Very possible all you need is an extension cable or kit and can move the current display unit.

factoryrat

I have run across people who won't even buy a display for each drive. They buy one and move it from drive to drive if needed.

I want a comm option card installed and some place I can plug in without having to open the cabinet door.

Sorry, I didn't see your post.

I am assuming this unit doesn't have this "comm option card" at this time. If it doesn't is this something that can be added onto the unit now?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Grace Port access panels are great for that.

I like the ones with the receptacle too, it gives you a place to plug in your laptop.
GracePort-Data-Interface-Port-PR2K3RF0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.