Class 2 Transformer in Outlet Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Transformer for a Door Chime. The Chime was installed over the box. Do you think this pictures meets 725.136(D) requirements?

Attachments

• IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
As is I think there is art 725 violations.

A potential easy fix may be to install a divider in the box and mount the "supply nipple" to this divider, keeping line voltage in one section of the box and low voltage in the other section. I would also think one would need a front cover of some kind for the line voltage side.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
As is I think there is art 725 violations.

A potential easy fix may be to install a divider in the box and mount the "supply nipple" to this divider, keeping line voltage in one section of the box and low voltage in the other section. I would also think one would need a front cover of some kind for the line voltage side.

I'm looking at 725.136.D in the 2008 NEC. Which is the section the OP asked about.
I don't see where a barrier is mentioned. That is in 725.136.B.
Only that a 1/4 in. separation should be maintained between class 1 and class 2&3 conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm looking at 725.136.D in the 2008 NEC. Which is the section the OP asked about.
I don't see where a barrier is mentioned. That is in 725.136.B.
Only that a 1/4 in. separation should be maintained between class 1 and class 2&3 conductors.
Taking that in consideration the picture in the OP is probably OK, if the class 2 cable separation is met, a little hard to tell in that image.

Other potential issues is whether or not the listing instructions for the transformer require it to be mounted, either by the feet, or it likely has a short nipple with locknut attached to it. I also see what looks like a green EGC that is probably for the transformer that is not connected.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
With the box covered, the transformer will not get free air cooling and may run hot. That could trip an internal thermal overload if it has one.

Tapatalk!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is better than installing in an attic like used to be common.

Most of the ones I've seen have been attached to a octagon metal box with a pull chain light in the basement and wired to that circuit or attached to the panel and wired to a circuit in it.

kwired

Electron manager
Most of the ones I've seen have been attached to a octagon metal box with a pull chain light in the basement and wired to that circuit or attached to the panel and wired to a circuit in it.
Seemed to be real common around here until maybe 1980's to 1990's to put them on a junction box in an attic, where the summer heat often doesn't help any, and then there are many cases where more thermal insulation has been added and the transformer is buried in it.:(

morepower

morepower

morepower

Check the paperwork that came with it. I bet it directs the installer to attach it to a metal box. Not doing so would be a violation of 110.3.

kwired

Electron manager
Check the paperwork that came with it. I bet it directs the installer to attach it to a metal box. Not doing so would be a violation of 110.3.

I haven't checked any paperwork, but have a feeling that since most newer transformers seem to have an EGC lead that they maybe are not required to attach to something that will inherently provide an EGC.

Besides that why do they also include a "foot mount" on most of them?

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You can get CL2 transformers with a nipple/locknut to go into a KO. power leads into box, transformer on outside.
As far as the Cat 3 or 5 telephone not legal. 800.179 does not allow the voltage rating on communicates cables, since its not intended to be used for Cl 2 or 3 power.

Status
Not open for further replies.