Installation of cable trays attached to IBEAM to carry Fiber Optic cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT2014

Installation of cable trays attached to IBEAM to carry Fiber Optic cable
We have searched all over Google and NEC to get a precise answer. We have a fiber optic data communication cable - extended demark run - that is 30 feet in the air that has to travel approx. 350 feet in a enormous warehouse. We do not want to use just J hooks attached to the IBeam because we do not want to take a chance that the fiber is stressed and in future fails do to sag etc. We would like to know what is NEC qualified and best suited for this run and if we have to ground the cable tray if we use non-conductive fiber composite trays vs galvanized vs other metal? Can we use cable trays that high that the trays are being held by IBEAM clamps/caddies?

Thanks everyone,​

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You are aware of course there is an entire chapter in the NEC on Optical Fiber?
Art 770 has limits on how far an unlisted cable can extend into a building, 50 ft past the point of entrance
770 Part V covers Raceways and Cable Routing Assemblies.
This section has the horizontal support requirements.
I would suggest using a fiber optic raceway, orange smurf tube if you will. Its hard to pull thru, or better yet just run EMT.

IT2014

Thanks

Thanks

The run is all in doors. It does not start from outside, and proceed to the inside of the building. The demarc is at one side of the building - to the other side. All indoors.

So you think wire tray is the best solution as well? I couldn't find anything in the NEC code that specifies if we need to ground, and or bond wire trays when using for fiber optic cable data runs.

Thanks, I will attempt to decipher the NEC code book chapters you provided to see if there is anything specific to our type of run.

Thanks again,

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The run is all in doors. It does not start from outside, and proceed to the inside of the building. The demarc is at one side of the building - to the other side. All indoors.

So you think wire tray is the best solution as well? I couldn't find anything in the NEC code that specifies if we need to ground, and or bond wire trays when using for fiber optic cable data runs.

Thanks, I will attempt to decipher the NEC code book chapters you provided to see if there is anything specific to our type of run.

Thanks again,

Just a caution: If you do not follow the same rules on grounding and bonding that apply to power wiring, or even to class 2 or 3 wiring, you will need to document that later installers must not put something other than fiber into that attractively convenient tray. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Thanks again,
Take a look at the Cable Tray Article. Its very clear, but there is a difference between the 11 and 14 version on CT grounding for communications circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.