Does a phase converter draw power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

There is a 5 hp converter. 240v single phase to 240v 3 phase.

The 3 phase will supply power for a 1.5 hp vertical mill press.

The existing power is a 2 pole with ground 50 receptacle.

In reading 455.
My intensions are to come from the 50 amp receptacle with a #8 - 3 wire sj cord to feed a main lug 2 circuit panel.
Insert a 2 pole 20 amp breaker in that 2 circuit panel and feed the converter with 12 -3 sj, then from the converter with 12-4 sj to the mill.

In reading around 455 I see the 240 volt feed to the converter has to be based on 250 % of the 3 phase load which at 6 amp for the 1.5 hp is 15 amps.

Am I correct for this install, or should I be basing some type of calculation for the 5 hp converter itself ?

thank you

ritelec

Is a rotary phase converter and phase converter the same?

If rotary.. it would seem that the circuit would have to be rated more for like a 5 hp motor plus the additional secondary load... and need thermal overload protection.
Although nothing in 455 says that, from what I see..??

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is a rotary phase converter and phase converter the same?

If rotary.. it would seem that the circuit would have to be rated more for like a 5 hp motor plus the additional secondary load... and need thermal overload protection.
Although nothing in 455 says that, from what I see..??
A rotary convertor is on form of a phase convertor which uses either a motor generator or a large (compared to the load) free spinning motor with some added parts.
A phase convertor could also be an electronic device, essentially a stripped down VFD for constant frequency use and without variable output voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.