Lighting req for warehouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G16

This seems like a dumb question to ask, because in my mind I can see it in the code book, but where can I find the Lighting requirements for a metal building to be used as a warehouse? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This seems like a dumb question to ask, because in my mind I can see it in the code book, but where can I find the Lighting requirements for a metal building to be used as a warehouse? Thanks in advance!

Are you asking about the requirement for a specific type of lighting in this kind of structure or for the Article 220 calculations needed for this type of structure?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

G16

thanks! im trying to figure out what the minimum amount of light I will need in the building. I guess I need the calculations for article220.... I'm just drawing a blank for some reason.. :blink:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
1205.3 Artificial light. Artificial light shall be provided that is adequate to provide an average illumination of 10 foot-candles (107 lux) over the area of the room at a height of 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor level.

The section establishes the minimum required illumination for rooms without the minimum required natural light (see Figure 1205.3). Please note that Section 1006.2 requires 1 foot-candle (11 lux) of light at the walking surface of all means of egress.

ICODA2010050413444976853.jpg

For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.

Figure 1205.3 ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING IN A ROOM

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
thanks! im trying to figure out what the minimum amount of light I will need in the building. I guess I need the calculations for article220.... I'm just drawing a blank for some reason.. :blink:

That would be a building code issue I believe

mgookin

The building code deals with two things relative to light levels:
1) Means of Egress Illumination
2) Light & Ventilation

It sound like you're designing a lighting system to accomodate #2 above. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.