517.33 Question about emergency lighting for dental office surgery room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShauwnC

I have one of our great repeat customers that has a surelites lifeway 2 2000watt inverter that appears to have stopped working correctly . I went there to do some testing and they stopped me after about 10 minutes and said they had surgery starting so I could not complete my testing and assesment .The inverter feeds 2' x 4' florescent lights (4) in two surgery rooms . However the reach light that they shine in the patients mouth is not on the back up system ( one in each room ) . They are saying that according to the folks that let them know if they are in compliance , the reach lights should be on a backup system . My question is according to 517.33 (2008 code cycle in Fairfax County VA. ) would the florescent lighting qualify as task lighting needed to complete orderly cessation of procedures (517 III ,517.25 )or does the reach light cover that . I won't assume the folks that originally installed this system knew what they were doing or knew the code however I think there is a reason why the florescent are currently on this system .As this system is not cheap I would like to know my options before just changing the system as that would not be a great service to the customer . Any help / advice would be appreciated .

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have one of our great repeat customers that has a surelites lifeway 2 2000watt inverter that appears to have stopped working correctly . I went there to do some testing and they stopped me after about 10 minutes and said they had surgery starting so I could not complete my testing and assesment .The inverter feeds 2' x 4' florescent lights (4) in two surgery rooms . However the reach light that they shine in the patients mouth is not on the back up system ( one in each room ) . They are saying that according to the folks that let them know if they are in compliance , the reach lights should be on a backup system . My question is according to 517.33 (2008 code cycle in Fairfax County VA. ) would the florescent lighting qualify as task lighting needed to complete orderly cessation of procedures (517 III ,517.25 )or does the reach light cover that . I won't assume the folks that originally installed this system knew what they were doing or knew the code however I think there is a reason why the florescent are currently on this system .As this system is not cheap I would like to know my options before just changing the system as that would not be a great service to the customer . Any help / advice would be appreciated .

The actual light that is adjustable to suite the "task" should be on the critical branch.

ShauwnC

OK with a call to AHJ

OK with a call to AHJ

AHJ supervisor referenced 517.18 exception #2 saying it is not required for dental offices . What is your take and what code article are you referencing in your reply ? Thanks in advance for your feedback !

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If the AHJ has ruled that backup power isn't required, then the battery system should be optional, and they should be able to put anything they want on the battery system (or leave anything they want off the battery system).

If the battery backup system is required, refer to 517.45, which refers to 517.33. 517.33 outlines "task lighting" that should be on the emergency system.

david

AHJ supervisor referenced 517.18 exception #2 saying it is not required for dental offices . What is your take and what code article are you referencing in your reply ? Thanks in advance for your feedback !

though the authority may be correct that 517.18 Exception is not applicable to the dental procedure chair or table. The assessment that that excludes any need to address task illumination is incorrect.

I. General
517.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article shall apply to electrical construction and installation criteria in health care facilities that provide services to human beings.
The requirements in Parts II and III not only apply to single-function buildings but are also intended to be individually applied to their respective forms of occupancy within a multifunction building (e.g., a doctor?s examining room located within a limited care facility would be required to meet the provisions of 517.10).

III. Essential Electrical System
517.25 Scope.
The essential electrical system for these facilities shall comprise a system capable of supplying a limited amount of lighting and power service, which is considered essential for life safety and orderly cessation of procedures during the time normal electrical service is interrupted for any reason. This includes clinics, medical and dental offices, outpatient facilities, nursing homes, limited care facilities, hospitals, and other health care facilities serving patients.
FPN: For information on the need for an essential electrical system, see NFPA 99-2005, Standard for Health Care Facilities.

517.45 Essential Electrical Systems for Other Health Care Facilities.
(A) Essential Electrical Distribution. The essential electrical distribution system shall be a battery or generator system.
FPN: See NFPA 99?2005, Standard for Health Care Facilities.

Its up to the manager (staff) of the dental office to decide what the essential task illumination needs are.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Simple dental procedures such as fillings or even root canals are not likely to pose a threat to life safety if interrupted (unless maybe when full anesthesia is involved). But oral surgery could go beyond that limit.
I agree that the criticality of task lighting should be determined by a health professional such as the surgeon rather than by the inspector.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.