Control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowE

Ok guys I have a industrial production skid class1 / div2 location. The control panel is mounted on skid with Murphy switch gauges and a altronic annuciator with in the same enclosure. The altronic is rated class1/ div2 non-incentive wiring. My question is how is this meeting code when the switches and electronics are in the same enclosure? Wouldn't the gas to the switches made this a class1/div1 location?. I don't believe no -incentive meets div1. Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Nonincendive wiring is not suitable for Class I, Division 1.

Whether the panel interior is Division 1 or not is dependent on multiple factors that haven't been specified. The presence of internal gas piping does not necessarily demand a Division 1 classification.

RowE

Nonincendive wiring is not suitable for Class I, Division 1.

Whether the panel interior is Division 1 or not is dependent on multiple factors that haven't been specified. The presence of internal gas piping does not necessarily demand a Division 1 classification.

what would make it a class 1 / Div 1 ?
there are no venting instruments with-in the panel or any kind of z purge. all the switch gauges are a general purpose type murphy

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
what would make it a class 1 / Div 1 ?
there are no venting instruments with-in the panel or any kind of z purge. all the switch gauges are a general purpose type murphy
is there a API reference that i can use to determine if it is Div 1 or Div 2?
You might check Section 6.2.4, particularly 6.2.4.1.1. Read it carefully, it may be misleading because it is only indicating that certain piping installations may not be sources. Conversely, even if those conditions aren't exact, it still doesn't mean the piping is a source, only that it could be and more analysis may be necessary.

The indication that there is no intentional internal venting would be an example of a mitigating condition.

RowE

These panels were package by jw murphy. Murphy's paperwork states that they are suitable for class 1 Div 2 locations. i have read through API 500 and have not found a statement thats clearly allows this. 10.16 refers to control panels that contain instrumentation that utilize flammable gases used for measurement, analysis etc. that are venting into or outside the enclosure so i don't think that applies. Everything in the panel is screw type fittings and ss tubing. no checks, valves, reliefs or vents just closed pipeing. Not sure how to find the answer

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
It sounds suitable for Class I, Division 2 to me.

Remember API RP 500 is a recommended practice (that's what the "RP" means) not a code or specification. A fair amount of sound engineering judgment is necessary; [Section 1.1.1] i.e., you have to think about it. I sent you to Section 6.2.4 not to indicate the panel should be unclassified, but as an example that the gas piping alone will not necessarily require Division 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.