DLO cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty612

New User
I have currently installed 3 steak generators at an oil facility useing DLO cable. In watching 2011 Mike Holt Video disc 6, I was informed that DLO is not a recognized wiring mehod per article 110.8 and 310-104 (A). My question is if it is not a recognized wiring method what is its purpose? Can we use it for an industrial site installed in 4" PVC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I remember correctly the DLO stands for Diesel Locomotive cable and it's use there is not covered by the NEC. You may well find that your DLO cable is also rated RHW or some other acceptable rating.
Proper termination is a whole other issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dual rated cable should be readily available. We've used dual rated DLO-RHW/RHW-2 cable for UPS battery racks typically in 535 kcmil size. As Augie stated special lugs may be required.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... special lugs ARE required.
FIFY

There are no approved mechanical lugs I am aware of for extra flexible cable like this, only crimp lugs. And of the cripom lugs, you have special versions that usually take special dies as well.

Because of the restrictions on plain DLO, much of what is sold is called that just out of habit, but is actually dual rated as mentioned. There is almost no difference in price, so suppliers would be foolish to limit their potential market. However, plain DLO often ends up in scrap / surplus yards being sold cheap, basically because of a mistake made by someone else, so let the buyer beware.

dereckbc

Staff member
You have to use Dual rated DLO/RHH. It is widely available.

Otherwise DLO is used for its stated purpose of diesel locomotive application. In vehicles that are exposed to high heat, oil, and fuel. The other benefit of DLO is it is a fine strand cable which is easier to make tight bends and offers some vibration resistance so connectors do not fail from fatigue.

As mentioned it take special compression connectors and tooling to crimp properly. The barrows is slightly smaller than its strand Class B cousin, and longer to allow for it to be crimped up to 4 times.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You have installed 3 cows????? :lol:

Sorry, need more coffee in order to resist such opportunities. :happyyes:
Lol, :p

I can't believe I missed that, otherwise I would not have been able to resist either. I swear it said "steam" until I read your post and went back to look. Funny how the brain will sometimes fill in details not in evidence. I hope I never get called as an eye witness to anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.