Neutral Conductors 404.2 c

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonc267

So if I am replacing all the electric in a home that the customer just purchase as a foreclosure. The old home owner smashed the walls with a hammer and cut out all the electric wires. This guy destroyed the house. So I am removing all the old wires and starting over, New panel, New boxes, New wiring through out. I will keep all the old lights, and ceiling fans, vanity lights ect. Section 404.2c States I will now need a spare neutral in every light switch. So a light switch that feeds one ceiling fan will need a 3 conductor from switch to device? Its all romex and there is an attic above all walls. But there is not an open space above it on same floor and the wall behind it is not open. Since I may have screwed up and wasted a day pulling 2 conductor wires not even thinking about this code change. Do I take out all 2 conductors and replace with 3 conductor? And all my 3 conductors with 4 conductors?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
How are your switches fed? Power to the ceiling fixture first or power to the switch first?

If there is an attic access or a crawl access you meet the requirement of one of the exceptions. Also 2014 code took a big step back from the original 404.2 C. A friendly call to your inspector is never a bad thing.

jasonc267

How are your switches fed? Power to the ceiling fixture first or power to the switch first?

If there is an attic access or a crawl access you meet the requirement of one of the exceptions. Also 2014 code took a big step back from the original 404.2 C. A friendly call to your inspector is never a bad thing.
So since arc fault breakers are now needed i ran a bunch of just lights on one circuit. all 14/2, feed or home run to switch in hallway then to the hall light then from hall light to bedroom 1 switch then to bed 1 ceiling fan then to bed 2 switch then bed 2 c.f. and a couple more just like that. from what i read in code it seemed to say access on same floor, like drop ceiling.

jasonc267

Neutrals in switch box.

Neutrals in switch box.

So if I am replacing all the electric in a home that the customer just purchase as a foreclosure. The old home owner smashed the walls with a hammer and cut out all the electric wires. This guy destroyed the house. So I am removing all the old wires and starting over, New panel, New boxes, New wiring through out. I will keep all the old lights, and ceiling fans, vanity lights ect. Section 404.2c States I will now need a spare neutral in every light switch. So a light switch that feeds one ceiling fan will need a 3 conductor from switch to device? Its all romex and there is an attic above all walls. But there is not an open space above it on same floor and the wall behind it is not open. Since I may have screwed up and wasted a day pulling 2 conductor wires not even thinking about this code change. Do I take out all 2 conductors and replace with 3 conductor? And all my 3 conductors with 4 conductors? Also I have the wire coming from panel to switch then to light the to the next switch then to the next light so on and so on.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Read ALL the exceptions closely as it may save you some work. I see no requirement for you to change anything on the load side of the switch.
Edit: Opps I was looking at the '14 Code which offers more leeway. Due to that fact, it might be worth discussing with your AHJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.