Wye-Delta Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Can you run a 380-400Y/660-690Y motor with a Wye-Delta Starter?
The system voltage is 400V
The motors I've dealt with at those voltages were wound for 690V when connected in star and 400V when connected in delta.
If that's what you have, then star/delta starting on 400V is a possibility.

Sounds like a 50Hz application?

QES

The motors I've dealt with at those voltages were wound for 690V when connected in star and 400V when connected in delta.
If that's what you have, then star/delta starting on 400V is a possibility.

Sounds like a 50Hz application?

Yup.. The good old 5 0

Sahib

I'm assuming that the phase wounding is rated up to 690V but can startup using 400V?
Yes. But if you intend to start and run the motor at 400V, star-delta starter is of use. But if you start the motor at 690V and run it at 400V, the star-delta starter is of no use.

Besoeker

That is with reference to the OP's mentioning of 690V.
A motor wound for 690V when connected in star or on a 400V system when connected in delta. Such motors are not uncommon.

The system on which the OP wishes to run it is 400V. There no mention of a 690V source. At least, not until you introduced it. So, don't you see that your comment about starting it on 690V is a complete irrelevance and of no help to the OP?

Sahib

A motor wound for 690V when connected in star or on a 400V system when connected in delta. Such motors are not uncommon.
My point is star-delta starter is of no use in reducing starting current when 690V applied on star connection and 400V on delta connection of the motor.
don't you see that your comment about starting it on 690V is a complete irrelevance and of no help to the OP?
Let the OP say it because it looks rude on your part to do so.

Besoeker

My point is star-delta starter is of no use in reducing starting current when 690V applied on star connection and 400V on delta connection of the motor.
Not going to happen here - or elsewhere. An irrelevance. Drop it.

mivey

Not going to happen here - or elsewhere. An irrelevance. Drop it.
What about the possibility of fandangling the supply so we can have 400V, 545V, and 690V so we can have three stages of start? You are stifling the whole creative process by dismissing all of the possibilities we might be able to imagine or dream up. Stop being such a fact-restrained fuddy-duddy and let's explore the world of endless possibilities even if it has nothing to do with the OP's situation.

Besoeker

What about the possibility of fandangling the supply so we can have 400V, 545V, and 690V so we can have three stages of start?
Oh, you mean like an autotransformer starter?
Been there, done that.

You are stifling the whole creative process by dismissing all of the possibilities we might be able to imagine or dream up. Stop being such a fact-restrained fuddy-duddy and let's explore the world of endless possibilities even if it has nothing to do with the OP's situation.
Nothing being stifled. See above comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.